sea water modifications

What type of modifications would be best for running in the ocean?

+1
    Do a search and check out the posts by Earthshaker and Blue 182. Socaloffshore and Lordblack also are ocean riders.

Quote Originally Posted by soulburner_00 View Post

what you looking @ gaining is the question???????

You dont have to modify anything to make this Ultra 250 seaworthy. You do, however, need to carefully clean and lube the entire ski after every use. I linked a thread that explains what to do. You also need to closely monitor oil level & condition ie check every time you ride. Though not required, I recommend these mods right off:

1) Groco intercooler filter;

2) Electric bilge (500gph min);

3) Crankcase ventilator kit to prevent gas in oil.

These Ultras need more cool air but its hard to get that without increasing risk of water ingestion in the ocean.

Riva ride plate gave me 3mph in flat calm but may have roughed up the ride in ocean chop or swells.

You may want to check out offshore forum for more comments. Also, Groco, bilge and CCVltr kit all have their own special threads.

These Ultras are right at home in the lakes or seas so have fun!

Kawi salt care:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...Kawi+salt+care

Again, just so you get the importance of this, you have to do a complete washdown and rinse with salt away/terminator then fresh water after every ride. Your best bet is to leave your seats off when you are driving home to allow the engine compartment to dry out.

Also, after the engine is dry, put a nice light coat of fluid film or CRC656 on the engine so that your engine resists salt/corrosion on the next ride.

More here from SoCalOffshore:

http://pwcoffshore.com/ULTRA_250X_Page.php

It's a pain at first but it becomes routine after a few rides.

Best,
    LB

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lordblack View Post
    Also, after the engine is dry, put a nice light coat of fluid film on the engine so that your engine resists salt/corrosion on the next ride.

All of the above. I ride in salt water only and have been told by kawi tech here that I have a clean engine compartment. At the 100 hr service, When we took out the intercooler to check for salt deposits, None!!! Flush after every ride, dry out overnight and spray after that. I have had a small hole drilled into the hose from the air intake to the supercharger to put in a straw to lube the supercharger. This was done before I took delivery of the ski by the shop I bought it from. I spray in there religously!! Once a month I use marine grease to lube cables and around the spark plug wires where it goes into the valve cover (just a smidge) also helps keep water out of the spark plug holes. I have seen 15F's with rusted sparkplugs that had to be nursed out and sometimes retapped. Just some preventive maintainence to keep my ski running perfect. Just my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by hilomikey View Post
    ... I have had a small hole drilled into the hose from the air intake to the supercharger to put in a straw to lube the supercharger. This was done before I took delivery of the ski by the shop I bought it from. I spray in there religously!! ...
    I had not heard of this before. What kind of lube? Congrats on the 100hrs!

Quote Originally Posted by soulburner_00 View Post

I will say the cold air intake is a must turns that thing into a beast let me tell you... I've been riding all summer stock on the ocean, with this intake would've been alot more fun with the immediate throttle response......... As I said you need 2 know what you are looking for....... And I woould say get the aftermarket sponsons they will male a difference when the ski gets light on fuel by keeping you tracking straight.......

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    I had not heard of this before. What kind of lube? Congrats on the 100hrs!
    Thanks for the comment on 100 hrs. I just use Acelube from Ace Hardware. My mom works there have a good discount, sometimes 1.00$ a can!!! This was okayed by My kawi tech!!

Thread Information