Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Long Range Touring Equipment Checklists

I like equipment checklists. Makes it easier to ensure you have everything. I have worked from Mitch O's list for a long time, I also like the offshore forum's list. Packin it all so its readily accessible and keepin it light is a challenge.

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.p...399#post908399

Holy s**t . All this stuff goes into one ski?

Quote Originally Posted by seadoo951 View Post
    Holy s**t . All this stuff goes into one ski?
    In theory, yes, this Ultra has great storage but I myself have never tried to pack all the overnight gear. I have not heard from Mitch O in eons, but maybe he'll post. Accessibility is always critical. That small tool, pocketknife or wallet thats dropped will always end up at bottom of everything else. Thoughts, AK Mike?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    Mitch has been doing this for quite some time, I'd sure like to take one of his tours.

http://jetski.fotopic.net/
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 11-05-2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added Link

Long range touring.

We've only done one long range trip...Juneau to Sitka and return last summer. We ran my big boat along for support (gas, overnight, etc.) It was so much fun that we decided to circumnavigate the ABC islands (Admiralty, Baranof and Chichagof)...we're doing Admiralty this coming June without a support boat, so we'll be carrying everything along. What works is to put everything in waterproof bags, clothes in one, camping gear in another, food in another and so on. The Ultra's have tons of space, so I don't think we'll have a problem. We're working on the checklist now. I plotted out the trip and it'll be about 300 nautical miles with the side trips we've planned. Pretty remote wilderness-type trip and camping with the bears is always stimulating. Quality gear is a requirement for Alaska, you can get in some serious trouble without it....and sometimes even the best gear doesn't cut it. The Juneau-Sitka trip was 130 NM one-way and was a blast; here's a pic from the run. I'll post the checklist once I finish it. More later. Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jetski Sitka-False Island_BGrossNoreenKay 29Jul07 BMattson (1).JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	44037  

+1

Groovy!

I've rode 1600 miles, 6 days on a PWC, the best thing I can tell you is 'friction-vibration'.

Anything you pack, it will settle and move. Make sure you pack it so it doesn't move, shake, rattle and roll. Drybags can be punctured or friction worn. Always stop and check rigging on your tied down exterior gear. If you have a rescue board or a hydro trailer, double check them too.

And most importantly 3 hand held flares, water whistle, knife, food bars, waterproof radio, GPS, waterproof flashlight all attached ON your PFD. IF you get separated from your PFD at high speeds, have an injury, swell, wind or current, you may not catch your boat again..ask me how i know? LOL

I also prefer a lot of reflective tape on helmet and boat when riding solo on long distance....just in case...a night rescue/helo/boat with lights come by...strobe isn't a bad idea either, one for you and for your boat.

I always wear a fin belt with swim fins attached when I ride, helps to swim in the water better, or get back to the PWC easier....

But then you'll all be going with buddies....

Communications Gear

AK Mike, I guess you dont have to worry about toting fuel! Shawn, thanks for your ideas. I'm thinking the Garmin Rino 520HCX (2 way radio + gps) would be top of the line for multi party communications. Its a walkie talkie that gives you everyones GPS coordinates. Anyone used this Rino or a similar unit in the field? Hands free rigging?

Name:	gmrino530hcxa.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	44105  

+1
    With this, you could almost bring the kitchen sink.
    http://hydrotrailer.com/

Long range touring

Excellent points, Shawn! I met you in Laughlin, NV last summer (riding the Kawasaki demos on the Colorado River). I'm hoping to attend K38 in the future (it's on my list of things to do) and learn some heavy seas/surf rescue techniques. We've been using PWC's for SAR & safety patrols here and seldom encounter anything much over 3-4' seas (wind chop). Our plans to circumnavigate Baranof and Chichagof Islands will include outside water (as in: go south to Hawaii from here...) and I'd like some more experience before riding the big water, or at least some tips. Most folks think our riding is 'extreme' because it's very remote and you have to depend on your own resourcefulness and your equipment more so when there's 75 miles between communities and nothing but wilderness in between. I'm still looking for a waterproof comms system that doesn't break the bank....Mike

Thumbs up GPS setup

Blue:
    We use the Garmin 120's and have them set up on the glove box covers. I modified Garmins handlebar bracket and screwed it through the cover with a healthy backing plate. We loop the strap through the bracket and it gives us some security if we pop the unit out for comms or to actually read the tiny print....(sucks, getting old with bifocals!!) We've never had any vibration or other GPS issues with the installation. Batteries last about 6-8 hours and if you reset before you ride, you'll get fastest speed, total time, total distance, etc. Good info for future rides. The Garmins also have a 'locate' feature on the FRS comms; they 'talk' to each other, so if I can't see my riding partner, all I have to do is hit the transmit button and when they reply, their location shows up on my map. Cool stuff! Mike

Name:	DSCN1813.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	44108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1814.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	44109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1815.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	44110  

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information