Importing a Ski?

Hi Guys,
    This is my first post here, I apologise if this is in the wrong section, I couldnt find an area that i thought was more relevant. Mods feel free to move this if you feel appropriate.

To my question, Im looking for advice on Importing a Ski from the US to Australia. I have recently been looking at a 2007 RXT and a WAKE edition ski here in Oz. The retail price for these ski's over here is $23,500AUD ($21637USD) and $24,500AUD ($22557USD)respectively. I have seen those two models advertised in the US for around $10,000 - approx $11,500 dollars Australian, so either the shipping into the country costs a fortune, or the dealers over here a making a huge profit. Basically what i'm wanting to know is

a) if anybody on the forum has successfully done this before?
    b) If anybody on the forum knows any good shipping companies that I would be able to obtain quotes from?
    c) If anyone knows any dealers in the US who would help me through this kind of a deal. Obviously I would organise all the freight and the pickup of the Ski etc, I just need a reputble dealer who wouldn't leave me high and dry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

Turbo Doo's from Down Under one1one's Avatar
    Freight, GST (forgot about that hey) and the cost of supporting a dealer network (tech back up, etc) this cost millions every year are the reasons.

I can assure you no dealer in Australia makes margins of 10%. Sh!tty margins hey...

+1
    Friend of my has imported 2 x skis from the USA not a problem and yes you will SAVE.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    WELCOME TO GREENHULK
    Take a look here http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41163 different area but i bet he has some good leads
    and maybe ask "qatar2000kk" some ?'s
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/member.php?u=3035
    ENJOY YOUR STAY-
    MATTMAN

+1
    Just went thru this. Maybe my experience (so far) can help you.

You need to find someone that has a regular "Shipping container," in California of the USA, with room that will "sell" you some floor space. Don't ask me, the buyer figured it all out.

This option will cost you thousands less then if you try and send it in JUST a crate. Sending in JUST a crate takes up "Three Pallet Spaces," and will cost you 3-4 THOUSAND USD to ship.

Furthermore, contact John at "Unishippers" and get shipping from around the USA to the shipping container company in CA.

You will need a bill of sale, and a complete title (or state game and fish in non-titled states.) Make a copy and attach to the crate, and have the originals sent to the new buyer.

You need to have all the oil and gas sucked out of the ski, and have it ventilated. Best folks to do this is the dealer. They can also help with crating.

Avoid a trailer, since it is very cumbersome, and will make the whole affair pretty much too expensive to make it worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik72e View Post
    Friend of my has imported 2 x skis from the USA not a problem and yes you will SAVE.
    Thanks Mik72e - Is there any chance of me getting some more information off you regarding this?? Which dealer in the states your friend used and who he shipped it in through??

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Just went thru this. Maybe my experience (so far) can help you.

You need to find someone that has a regular "Shipping container," in California of the USA, with room that will "sell" you some floor space. Don't ask me, the buyer figured it all out.

This option will cost you thousands less then if you try and send it in JUST a crate. Sending in JUST a crate takes up "Three Pallet Spaces," and will cost you 3-4 THOUSAND USD to ship.

Furthermore, contact John at "Unishippers" and get shipping from around the USA to the shipping container company in CA.

You will need a bill of sale, and a complete title (or state game and fish in non-titled states.) Make a copy and attach to the crate, and have the originals sent to the new buyer.

You need to have all the oil and gas sucked out of the ski, and have it ventilated. Best folks to do this is the dealer. They can also help with crating.

Avoid a trailer, since it is very cumbersome, and will make the whole affair pretty much too expensive to make it worth it.

Thanks for your responses everyone!! Hydrotoys, thanks, Yeah I was planning on avoiding a trailer at least until I got it into the country or to its destination. How are they transported usually? In a crate I would assume?

Where was your buyer shipping to?? And do you know by chance how he found a company in california that had "space" to sell??

One more question, Is Seadoo's warranty a worldwide warranty from seadoo?? or is it specific to the dealer you purchased it from?, this will be my first brand new ski so i've never known this.

Thanks again.

I reckon you should just hurry up and get a ski so I have someone to ride with!! Your missing out on some good times.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aussierider View Post

One more question, Is Seadoo's warranty a worldwide warranty from seadoo?? or is it specific to the dealer you purchased it from?, this will be my first brand new ski so i've never known this.

Thanks again.
    your ski would have to be taken back to the states for warranty work to be done.

Thread Information