Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1997 GTI Dead Battery

I know you guys have covered this topic many times but I can't find a thread specific to the '97 GTI. Nevertheless, here we go,.....

Purchased the GTI (previously enjoyed) in the Spring 2006. First go,.. put it in the water, started it up and rode away from the ramp. Died a few moments later. Cranked it, wouldn't catch. Cranked it again,..same problem. Eventually, the battery died. Got back to the ramp and noticed that I didn't turn the fuel switch on. Doh!!!! The marina boosted it for me and got it going. Yippee!!!!! Rode it for about 30 minutes to charge the thing under its own power. Killed it back at my dock. Dead again!!!! Went out and bought a new battery the next day.

Great riding for the next few weekends then bang. Dead (new) battery.

When winterizing it that fall, the marina claimed that this was a common Sea-Doo problem (especially since I leave it in the water all summer, tied to the dock) and they didn't think I had an electrical problem.

Fast forward to summer 2007, bought an additional battery just in case and ended up using both all summer on a 3 week rotation.

So,... what's up with my machine? I don't want to be out on the lake with my kids (again) with a dead battery.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by b1qywz87; 11-06-2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling error

+1
    It happens to my 97 GTI all of the time. Well, happened, since it's out of commission for the 1,000,000th time..Unfortunately I don't have any fix to offer for you. The only thing I can think of is check the battery connections..

Battery connections are tight and dry. What about having a "Battery Disconnect" installed (if such a thing exists)?

+1
    I've come to the point where if mine is up and running again I will probably be manually disconnecting the battery each time the ski is going to sit 1 week or more

Banned User
    First thing check to see if your ski is charging. Run the ski @ 5000 rpm's with a multimeter and you should get 13.5-14 volts charging. Also you need to see if you have a small draw. I have a clamp on multimeter that works great to watch the amps. Also what battery did you buy? Those Napa and off brand batterys suck dont last and go dead all the time.

like previously said check to make sure its charging properly when running.

also keep in mind a dead/weak battery wont get charged just by running it. the charging system isnt designed to charge up a completely dead battery.

may want to load test the battery, it could have a bad cell now.

my tech at the marina did all that (testing amps, volts, RPM etc.) and everything appeard to be fine. what seems to be happening is that:

A) the rocking motion of the machine sitting all week allows acid to drain from the battery, thereby rendering it ineffective

B) we have a parasitic draw while the machine is sitting

so,.. do I have a serious gremlin in my machine or is it common and I should have some type of 'battery disconnect' installed when I head home?

all the older sea doos constantly have a small draw. this shouldnt drain your battery in a week though.

if you have a good battery, it shouldnt be leaking that much acid to loose charge in afew days. throw that battery on a charger and then load test it, it's probably on its last legs or has never been fully charged. not sure where you bought it from but if its a wet acid battery you need to fully charge them at a slow rate for several hours, anything less and you will only get a surface charge and it wont last
    Last edited by bigborexpl; 11-09-2007 at 02:48 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by b1qywz87 View Post
    my tech at the marina did all that (testing amps, volts, RPM etc.) and everything appeard to be fine. what seems to be happening is that:

A) the rocking motion of the machine sitting all week allows acid to drain from the battery, thereby rendering it ineffective

so,.. do I have a serious gremlin in my machine or is it common and I should have some type of 'battery disconnect' installed when I head home?
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. If your mechanic told you as you stated A) You need to find a different mechanic.

LOL
    Your VTS is working?? is everthing on dash pannel working as it should?? I had same problem and it was the VTS. and to make sure i always have power on my battery i always have a 1.5 amp charger or a solar power charger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information