Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lifespan Of 4 Stroke Yamaha Vx Sport?

I am upgrading my VXR 650 and I was originally looking at the XL 700 as reliability + gas consumption is what are the most important factors for me, however I just noticed that 4 strokes are way more reliable and burn a lot less gas, so I decided to go with a 4 stroke VX Sport with the 1052cc engine and 110HP.

Now, here is what I want to find out - how many hours can you get of these 4 stroke engines - one Yamaha dealership told me 700, and another 5,000????

I know the Yamaha 2 strokes are generally good for about 500 hours, but how many more hours can you get out if a 4 stroke Yamaha engine???

From most of the reading I have done, it seems the average life on the VX is anywhere from 700 to 1500 hours. After awhile they start to burn oil at those hours.
    I would change the oil and filter more often than the recomended service intervals. When you change the oil on the Yamaha 4 strokes, you only end up getting out half the oil for the engine. So it's never a new oil change.

Junk that might be floating in the oil, (or gas that has diluted the oil), might be still stuck in there, even after you suck out as much of the old stuff as you can. Maybe thats why Yamaha went for the wet sump design on the new supercharged 1800cc. Who knows, I guess we will find out soon enough. I change my oil and filter more frequently. It's easy but gets kind of expensive. Hopefully it will let my VX go for ever...I love that engine, I would hate to see it start consuming oil.

I have a chance to buy a 07 VX Sport with 200 hours, demo unit with full 1 year warranty for $5,000.
    Should I jum on it?

I use on all my vehicles Amsoil fully synthetic motor oil, would you recomend it for Yamaha 4 stroke? If yes, what weight is suitable? Also are there premium oil filters available, I love Purolator Pure One Micronic!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stoyan79 View Post
    I have a chance to buy a 07 VX Sport with 200 hours, demo unit with full 1 year warranty for $5,000.
    Should I jum on it?

I use on all my vehicles Amsoil fully synthetic motor oil, would you recomend it for Yamaha 4 stroke? If yes, what weight is suitable? Also are there premium oil filters available, I love Purolator Pure One Micronic!

Thanks!
    As for the Amsoil synthetic compared to Yamalube for the Yami 4...I don't know. I know the the Yamalube is loaded with anti-corrosives and other additives to help with water vapors, and of course recomended by Yamaha. The filter made by Yamaha(really Nippodenso) is some wierd cartridge type filter with plastic ribs inside of it and a rubber diaphragm.

K&N, Fram, and Quicksilver are the only ones I have seen for other replacements. I looked at them carefully and the three brands look the same...real cheesy (different internal parts and design). I think these "aftermarket" filters are made to fit but apply more to the motorcycle version engine not the marine specific application. Allthough, if you look at the part # for the Yami VX 110 filter, it's the same filter thats used for Yami 4 stroke ATV's.

If Purolator makes one, then great, but again I'm leaning towards the factory filter only because I know it was designed to work with that engine design,(oil pressure, flow chracteristics), you dont want any surprises while 50 miles offshore.

sorry to butt in: the nippon denso products are pretty darn good...
    just change`em out at the right time...PR...

In Queensland Aus a hire buisness had vx sports with 1-2 thousand hours without a rebuild
    Last edited by ando; 12-22-2007 at 12:09 AM.

VX sports last FOREVER lol...gas consumption is GREAT and for the amount of Horsepower its not a slow ski!!...go for it....great ski

+1
    Ando, Can you pm me with some more details .I would like to contact them

Cheers

Bernie

rinsing of the salt,i think would help.

covered up real good also helps,i have a vstar 1100 classic motorcycle oil and filter pads and tires no brakedowns,its a 2000 with 20k miles i keep it looking new happy holidays
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamaha waiverunner,horses pictures of all kinda cars 030.jpg 
Views:	2554 
Size:	497.3 KB 
ID:	49568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daytona 20006 018.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	480.8 KB 
ID:	49569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamaha waiverunner,horses pictures of all kinda cars 023.jpg 
Views:	1145 
Size:	548.9 KB 
ID:	49570  

06 Vx100...

mine has close to 50hrs. on it, salt and fresh usage, but like any 4 stroker, can go forever if maintained at least half way decent. i ride with a few dudes with those older 4 stroke dirt bikes, honda xr's and yamaha tt's from the early mid 90's with no rebuilds whats-so-ever, still making great power 250cc's to 600cc's .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information