Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Another Learning Experience....

I was checking out a Polaris ski to flip and was standing behind and to the left of the ski while the owner fired it up on the trailer with the seat off. Next thing I know, there's a huge kaboom and a flame shot out the jet nozzle. Freakin' deafening...and nothing but smoke coming from the hull....

Everybody checked each other for body parts, found all of them in tact and tried to figure out what happened. The smoke in the hull turned out to be exhaust. The muffler was blown off it's hoses....and the owner thinks maybe it had something to do with the WD40 he used as starting fluid unknown to me.

Moral of the story? Not sure, but don't stand behind a jetski when it's starting on a trailer. It was night time so the flame was really cool.

No damage done to the ski. We resecured the hoses and it ran fine....

+1
    Damn, glad you're O.K. I hate when that happens!!

I have a guess
    Battery was low, ignition timing was off and ignited the extra fuel/oil (WD-40) while in the chamber. BOOM.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Or the guy had tried to start it before you got there and had it flood to the point of loading the pipe/w-box. Or he had tried eather and didn't want to say he did. Lucky no one got hurt,the hose was the weak part.

We were trying to start a 71 Cuda one late night in my garage (3:00AM )after putting in a curve kit in the dist.My buddy put the reluctor in the wrong position on the shaft.After messing with the timing for a while,The NEW HUSH THRUSH Muffers got loaded with flumes.It misfired and blew both muffers wide open. We couldn't heard for a 1/2 hour, and had every neibour out in there PJ's to see who's house had blown up.

+1
    Damn, I was wondering where Chris went off to last night.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    L.o.l. =d> =d> =d>

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1

Muffler Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    The NEW HUSH THRUSH Muffers got loaded with flumes.It misfired and blew both muffers wide open.
    THINK IT'S LOUD WHEN IT HAPPENS AT STARTING SPEED---
    i went 6 for 6 on mufflers in a MONTH ,years ago in a jeep wrangler 6 cyl
    i was in the process of building a 305 sbc for it,so i didnt want to waste money on a ecu-or brain ect. While i was driving at 60 (2500 rpm) it would turn the spark of for a m/sec and BAM FLAMES 4 FEET OUT THE DRIVERS SIDE- the muffler is on the pass side which now looks like a mailbox meets m-80 X6 11 bucks a pop (much cheaper than the ecu) BUT THEN I DROP THE SBC IN AND ALL MONEY WENT TO NEW 295.50.15's every month 4x4 low could hop a bottle but only went up to 30 mph,,,MAN I MISS THAT JEEP,, THAT P.O.S MADE IT TO SO MANY RACE SITES ON THE EASTCOAST I COULDNT BELIEVE IT towing course marshall boats no less (sorry so long)
    MATTMAN

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Or the guy had tried to start it before you got there and had it flood to the point of loading the pipe/w-box. Or he had tried eather and didn't want to say he did. Lucky no one got hurt,the hose was the weak part.

We were trying to start a 71 Cuda one late night in my garage (3:00AM )after putting in a curve kit in the dist.My buddy put the reluctor in the wrong position on the shaft.After messing with the timing for a while,The NEW HUSH THRUSH Muffers got loaded with flumes.It misfired and blew both muffers wide open. We couldn't heard for a 1/2 hour, and had every neibour out in there PJ's to see who's house had blown up.
    I'm guessing he tried to prime it....he had to jump it from a car since the battery was dead and they hadn't run it before I got there...Nothing sneaky going on...

The ski was in the garage with the ass end sticking out of the garage door. So when the boom came, it was loud!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996SLTX View Post
    I was checking out a Polaris ski to flip and...
    You just started messing with these things in May, and now you're buying and selling them?
    Wow, fast mover!

How many do you have now?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You just started messing with these things in May, and now you're buying and selling them?
    Wow, fast mover!

How many do you have now?
    Yep!! That's me....my hobbies become businesses....I sold 2 trailers already and have a double trailer and another single ready to sell.

I've got the SLTX, and SeaDoo's GTX and XP, all three 96's. I've got an SL750 hull thats going in the trash soon. Not likely I can sell it but I got some nice part, a great trailer, and a lot of education (from tearing it down) off of it.

I just bought a Continental double, new condition, only 2.5 years old for $200 a week ago. I've got the SeaDoo's on it now. It's a keeper.

I've sold a bunch of parts and I've got a bunch more in stock. When I let go of my SLTX, I'll probably part it out.

And I waiting to hear about a Polaris a buddy of mine is getting for painting a house. He says is super low time and probably one of the last models they made. He owes me money so this may clear his debt plus a nice profit. He's got a cousin with a couple older Polaris's too that I'm trying to get.

I've got ads on craigslist saying that I buy skis and trailers. It's a good time to buy right now but I'm not seeing much flipping potential in the skis I'm seeing. Mostly, word of mouth is sending possibilities my way. I'm in the boating capital of the world so there a lot of people doing a lot of things with watersports here.

I've done a lot with website design, marketing, ebay, mechanics, etc...so this is simply another thing to apply all those skills to, not just mechanical ones, and the end result is a hobby with positive cash flow.

WITHOUT THIS SITE, I WOULDN'T EVEN BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO OWN ONE SKI AND KEEP IT RUNNING!! THANKS TO ALL!
    Last edited by 1996SLTX; 11-10-2007 at 08:45 PM.

+1
    Great Story!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information