+1

96 XP Engine Not Charging Battery

I'm new to SeaDoo's and fairly new to jetski's.....

I bought this ski and fired it up for the first time. The battery light on the dash was blinking, so I put my multimeter on the battery posts and I'm getting 11.93v with the engine running and 12.0 with the engine off....running it on the trailer.

Other that this problem, the engine starts rights away and runs well on the trailer.

Where do I start? The battery was topped off and is fairly new. The previous owner always kept it on a trickle charger. Plus it cranks the engine strongly....doesn't seem like a battery issue.

The positive cable also has a small wire hooked to the battery with it....is there anything else that is hooked to the negative beside the cable?

Thanks,

Ron

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The small black wire coming from the black box should be on the negative terminal, not the positive. The large red positive wire should be alone when connected.

You hopefully only fried the rectifier. Check the fuses in the front gray box...maybe it blew and saved you.

I can't believe it runs without this wire connected properly...something very strange is going on...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The small black wire coming from the black box should be on the negative terminal, not the positive. The large red positive wire should be alone when connected.

You hopefully only fried the rectifier. Check the fuses in the front gray box...maybe it blew and saved you.

I can't believe it runs without this wire connected properly...something very strange is going on...
    My bad....I just went to look at it again...the negative has the little wire...the positive only had the positive cable...sorry for the confusion...

So what do I check first? Thanks....

+1
    I was looking at another related thread and this ski hasn't been rolled over and it wasn't used in saltwater. I did unplug and replug the connector at the flywheel cover and have made sure it's fully seated.

Is it possible that the stator is firing the plugs but not charging the battery? I ran the ski for quite away on the trailer (properly with a garden hose) and the battery didn't seem to suffer much. I started the engine probably 10 times and ran it a grand total of maybe 15 minutes and the battery would show 11.93v running and 12v with the motor off.

Thanks....

The ski is running solely on the battery, and the ignition does not draw that much amperage. Ohming a stator doesn't really confirm it's good or bad, the only way to really know is to pull the front cover and inspect it.

You can gamble and replace the rectifier first without pulling the front cover. But if the stator is bad it will fry the new rectifier. Then you will have to buy another and a stator.

The stator is copper wound thin insulated wire, with epoxy sealed around them to prevent chafing. This produces AC voltage and sends it to the rectifier. The rectifier changes it to DC voltage for charging. When metal shavings from the starter get between the stator and magneto (or rust from being hydrolocked), it causes a short, burning up the windings. In my case the #2 crank bearing failed, and caused the snout of the crank to wobble touching the stator. There is very little clearance between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996SLTX View Post
    My bad....I just went to look at it again...the negative has the little wire...the positive only had the positive cable...sorry for the confusion...

So what do I check first? Thanks....
    Good! That one would have been a new road to travel down...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post

The stator is copper wound thin insulated wire, with epoxy sealed around them to prevent chafing. This produces AC voltage and sends it to the rectifier. The rectifier changes it to DC voltage for charging. When metal shavings from the starter get between the stator and magneto (or rust from being hydrolocked), it causes a short, burning up the windings. In my case the #2 crank bearing failed, and caused the snout of the crank to wobble touching the stator. There is very little clearance between the two.
    Great info! Thanks!

I looked in the hull and for the most part, the flywheel cover bolts look easy to get to. Are all of them easy or will some of the exhaust have to be moved out of the way....I haven't taken a detailed look at it....

The previous owner said occaisionally the battery light would come on but it never became an issue that got his attention. He rebuilt this ski and motor. But my first time running it, the battery light was flashing which prompted me to get the multimeter out.

QUESTION: Does the 96 GTX and XP use the same rectifier...they have the same motor...
    Last edited by 1996SLTX; 11-10-2007 at 08:11 AM.

Yes, they use the same parts.

+1
    ok, finally got around to looking into this charging problem. How do I check how many volts, if any, the charging circuit is making?

I usually disconnect the battery after using the ski. This time I didn't and after only 4 days or so the battery was at 10.5 volts....it's a good gell cell.

An easy way test the stator's charging output is simply test the battery's power while the machine is running on the trailer. Before starting, it should be between 12.4 and 12.75 VDC cold (before first start of the day), when the machine is running it should be showing between 13.5 to 14.4 VDC.
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 03-09-2008 at 01:52 AM.

Thread Information