Ethanol additive

WE are very concerned with upcoming legislature making it legal to use ethanol as a gas additive (All this is part of a program aimed to make the U.S. less dependent on foreign oil). Does anyone know how(and whether) this will affect jet skies (fuel injected, carbureted, 2 strokes, 4 strokes).

For cars, I know the mpg you get goes down. So I would assume that it would go down for PWC too.

In the midwest, we have been using a 10% ethanol mix in our fuels for years (Read 10+)

Early on, people expected to see issues with ethanol. They didn't materialize. Even on my 2 stroke snowmobile, there were no issues.

I run 93 octane with the mandatory 10% ethanol in it on my RXP and have found zero issues.

It should be a non issue.

Check out Brazil. I was watching a 60 Minutes thing or something on them a couple weeks ago, and they have been using ethanol for a long time. Works well for them. However, they use much more than the 10% that we use, so their car engines have sensors that determine whether the car is running on ethanol or gas.

With only the 10% that we use, you won't notice anything, but for the people in Brazil, ethanol gets worse gas milage and costs a lot more. But it is a cleaner burning fuel. Its also more beneficial to their economy.

I believe the new legislation requiring the replacement of MTBE as an oxygenate in gasoline with 10% ethanol will have no detrimental effects on todays gas engines.

However, the one thing you do need to be careful of is to not use the new fuel that is becoming more readily available and that is E85 or M85. These are 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline or 85% methanol and 15% gasoline. These fuels are meant to be used only in the newer "flex fuel" vehicles that have the ability to sense what is being used as a fuel and make the necessary mixture and timing adjustments.

+1
    Last year, if I could find a station, I could get 92 octane 10% ethanol for the same price of the lowest octane non ethanol gasoline. Now there is a shortage of ethanol because they are using that in place of MTBE and there is no cost savings with ethanol.

Thread Information