Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow WTB: Virage hood gas strut

Needed for a 2002 Virage TXi.
    I need the gas strut (and the rubber boot) that holds the hood open, parts 4 and 14 in the diagram.

Polaris part numbers;
    7042121 Spring, Gas
    5411559 Boot, Gas Spring
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 2002 Virage TXi front hood assembly diagram.gif 
Views:	335 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	44398  

+1
    I have those parts, I would sell them to you for $25 but I dont know how much to ship it to Toronto. $25 plus shipping

Have a 2 Txi's in need of hold open cylinder. Do you have any extra's?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaristxi View Post
    Have a 2 Txi's in need of hold open cylinder. Do you have any extra's?
    Hmmm, sounds like a failure prone part.
    Perhaps I should be thinking new, if the old ones are going to fail sooner than a new replacement. :-k

How much do new ones cost?
    I haven't looked yet, and I haven't tried to find a non-Polaris source for new ones.

Edit: Babbits sells the Polaris strut "Spring, Gas (superceed: 7041758" for $36 new.

Anybody have an alternate supplier for new gas struts?

The label portion I can still read on mine says;
    Stabilus
    Lift-o-mat
    2831PH 0360N 267/01 A 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB109438.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	44430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB109441.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	44431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Querschnitt_lom_1_zoom_e.gif 
Views:	120 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	44433  
    Last edited by K447; 11-10-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    FWIW both of my virages have bad struts too.

This seems to be the result of poor engineering, when a carbon steel part is used in an area designed so that it holds water! All three of my Virages no longer have these parts. It takes a bit of effort to get rid of the rust stain they also leave on the outside of this area.

I guess I'm just a tight a$$, but I cant see spending $50-$60 or more on these parts which will rust up and fail again in a year or two! I've found that a piece of nylon or poly rope, just the right length, with an eye tied in each end, will fit over the old mounting studs and keep the hood from tearing it's self off the hinges. That little cable they riveted on to do this also seems to break very easily. Of course it's up to you to keep the hood from slamming shut, which usually isn't a problem anyway.

It is a pain to get the rope just the right length, and install it under a partially open hood, but I'm happy with the results.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thomslik View Post
    This seems to be the result of poor engineering, when a carbon steel part is used in an area designed so that it holds water! All three of my Virages no longer have these parts. It takes a bit of effort to get rid of the rust stain they also leave on the outside of this area.

I guess I'm just a tight a$$, but I cant see spending $50-$60 or more on these parts which will rust up and fail again in a year or two! ...
    I agree that not using a Stainless Steel part here was a bad move, but the rust stain isn't too hard to clean up, once you lift the entire hood mount off (5 bolts, washers and nuts).

If I could find a place that could cross reference or match the standard Polaris part (same length, opening force, and end fittings), I think there are SS versions of these things. Or at least, a cheaper source for the standard steel type.

I am going to try using some preservative anti-rust spray (BoeShield T-9, unless someone has a better suggestion) to try to keep the rust at bay on the replacement.

The rubber boot that covers the gas strut, I am wondering if it makes the problem worse, by trapping the moisture inside the boot.

Would it be OK to drill a small drain hole through the bottom of the strut well (just let it drain into the bilge), so that water does not sit there and rust the strut so fast?

Mine isn't one bit rusty, but has lost is holding power. It won't hold the hood up. There has to be a way to cross reference an aftermarket piece, i've just been too lazy to look into it. Need to know the full extended eye to eye length and the "power". I'd also junk the boot and spray it with WD40 after riding.

Did some quick digging and found one that looks like it is very similar for $10. 7.5" length. That 360N should be the force in Newtons, which is roughly 80lbs. MSCDirect has it in 80#. Here is the link http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...r=3866%50mode=
    Last edited by PolarisNut; 11-16-2007 at 10:29 AM.

+1

Arrow MSC # 81999161 replacement for Virage hood gas strut

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Hmmm, sounds like a failure prone part...
    How much do new ones cost?
    I haven't looked yet, and I haven't tried to find a non-Polaris source for new ones.
    Edit: Babbits sells the Polaris strut "Spring, Gas (superceed: 7041758" for $36 new.
    Anybody have an alternate supplier for new gas struts?
    The label portion I can still read on mine says;
    Stabilus
    Lift-o-mat
    2831PH 0360N 267/01 A 2
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    ... There has to be a way to cross reference an aftermarket piece, i've just been too lazy to look into it. Need to know the full extended eye to eye length and the "power". ...
    Did some quick digging and found one that looks like it is very similar for $10. 7.5" length. That 360N should be the force in Newtons, which is roughly 80lbs. MSCDirect has it in 80#. Here is the link http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...r=3866%50mode=
    Comparing the physical measurements of the dead Polaris strut on my desk with the specs given, the MSC # 81999161 does seem to be close enough to work.

I cannot read the details on the MSC catalog web page 3870 regarding the composite end fittings (too pixelated for me), so I can not tell if the MSC part will fit the ball mounts in the Virage.

Also, I could only guess whether 80lbs of force is the right amount, so we can go with your calculation.

So, shall I order a couple, or would someone else like to check this part on their Virage?

I occasionally order parts from MSC, so when I have an order together, i'll spend the $10 and order it. I'm in no rush since I wont be riding for 6mo. I'm going to do a little more digging in the next few weeks and I'll post what I find.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information