Question about red blinking light in digital display

I believe this is a low fuel light warning but at the top center of the display a red light blinks when I have less than three bars of fuel. It is not hot or anything else that I can find. Does anyone know if this light will blink when you have low fuel?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Sure will. It may even limit engine RPM to 4300 when that happens depending on model. That's what we call "limp mode". It limits engine speed to conserve gas so you can make it home. It will also flash the red light for overheat and I believe low oil.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Sure will. It may even limit engine RPM to 4300 when that happens depending on model. That's what we call "limp mode". It limits engine speed to conserve gas so you can make it home. It will also flash the red light for overheat and I believe low oil.
    The display usually says what it's for on the LCD. It flashes on there now and again but does not stay constantly light. That tells you to switch to reserve tank on the petcock. I thought the limiter feature was to protect the engine from burning holes in the pistons due to a lean condition at high Rpms.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    I thought the limiter feature was to protect the engine from burning holes in the pistons due to a lean condition at high Rpms.
    i think the limiter was put there so when you run low on gas you cant run it at full throttle (worst mgp)
    it does limit it for a "hot" overheat but you can still kill it at 4500 it should be "hot" limited to 2200 so you can get in, but not kill the thing
    i think the only thing they did for the "holeing pistons" was update the res/on fuel switch--thats a BIG I THINK
    just some thought -no solid proof of anything
    mattman

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    The display usually says what it's for on the LCD. It flashes on there now and again but does not stay constantly light. That tells you to switch to reserve tank on the petcock. I thought the limiter feature was to protect the engine from burning holes in the pistons due to a lean condition at high Rpms.
    That may be true too.

Thanks for all the info guys. I thought that was the case on the low fuel. As soon as I saw the thing on the first ride, I ran to the bank and felt around on the engine to see if it was hot.

I went out on sunday the 11th and the water temp was 58 degrees. Cold, but a good way to wrap up the year. Cant wait till spring.

Time to winterize!

Thread Information