Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SC vs. Turbo

SC vs. Turbo

I just want to try and get things traight here for all those including myself that consider buying a turbo. These are all questons and not statements so please feel free to jump right in. More maintenance on a turbo but its more reliable than the clutch on the sc. Turbo is more for drag racing rather than everyday riding? This is the point that i have the most questions about. If i go out on lake MI where there can be alot of chop or if i go out to jump waves then the turbo is ok or is it not meant for that? Does the SC hold up better in getting bounced around or is the turbo just all around better but requires special care because of the power and heat which it creates? No doubt it would be amazing to push the envelope on glass or in real small chop but at what sacrifice? Is the turbo set up so that it is fine in other conditions or designed to be a straight speedster?

+1
    You talkin about a Honda factory turbo or a third party turbo somebody slapped on a Seadoo? I don't know how anyone could really compare reliability data on a Seadoo rigged with a turbo, it's not like there are 25,000 units out there running around under warranty... I think they are experimental dragsters at this point...

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    if you read the cc turbo ski racers all say it is hard to beat a rude ski ....especially out of the hole... but once the tubo skis get going look out ...my personal opinion is a sc ski would b better for the rec rider due to the instant response ..... 4 all out power the turbo ....perfect for drag racing ... i think ....and i say i think...timing the wakes ect would b more dificult w a tubo ski ...due to a little lag ...but then i have never ridden a turbo ski ............my tubo expierience is with a car you learn to hit it early attempting to predict where you will be when it hits..in a race situation you are only off the gas briefly ....so the turbo never really spools down compleatly ...so you dont really feel the lag so much ,, unlike on the street in a car or slower cru zing on a ski

+1
    Even with the tiny ceramic ball bearing turbo in the Honda... there is still noticable lag. I'm still trying to figure out how to time it.

+1
    you have to time the lag but its no problem.. if u have the budget. I would think an 80mph rude with instant response would be enough for people.

I have turbo on my honda's..and boosted..they are fun and get better fuel economy than supercharged. But when i get an rxp i'll be supercharged for a long time..not sure i'll go turbo with it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thewhitewonder86 View Post
    I just want to try and get things traight here for all those including myself that consider buying a turbo. These are all questons and not statements so please feel free to jump right in. More maintenance on a turbo but its more reliable than the clutch on the sc. Turbo is more for drag racing rather than everyday riding? This is the point that i have the most questions about. If i go out on lake MI where there can be alot of chop or if i go out to jump waves then the turbo is ok or is it not meant for that? Does the SC hold up better in getting bounced around or is the turbo just all around better but requires special care because of the power and heat which it creates? No doubt it would be amazing to push the envelope on glass or in real small chop but at what sacrifice? Is the turbo set up so that it is fine in other conditions or designed to be a straight speedster?
    if your a wave jumper then the rude is best for you, wait till next year till all the lag has been sorted, cos these turbo's are still testing, regards bill

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
    I would think an 80mph rude with instant response would be enough for people.

For some enough is never enough.

Like me for instance.

i ride harder than most ... i am not afraid to be in the air or speed ...just let the legs suck it up ..60 to 70 in 2 ft 3 ft chop all day .i only have a s3 charger on my ski... i have been riding w a guy that has a rude charger... we have been flying around lately... it is fun outrunning smaller power boats and honestly i just cant run the ski flat out all the time without getting tossed by wakes ect//// 80 is fast on water ...and a rude or this new c kit should be mid 80s if set up properly.... that is more than most can handle on anything other than glass... stock i would let people ride it ...but not now ..i dont feel comfortable that they wont hurt themselves.. if they think it is like there big 3 seater yamaha that runs 60 65 on a good day... the acceleration is so much different ..i use the yamaha because i rode 1 last week it felt electric in comparison to mine ..turbos are cool but if you cant go fast enough w a supercharger you are really a speed freak unless you ride on glass all the time or drag ot just want top end

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    You make a good point Breon. The way I am looking at it now, is I can spend $10,000 plus working through the stages of superchargers eking my way toward 75mph on my GTXL, or I can whip that turbo in there and be able to eat most modded skis for lunch. I may sound crazy but trust me I have a healthy fear that has kept my personal injuries and accidents to a very minimal level.

darth i ride an yamaha r1 as well... i tell people all the time dont fear it but do respect it ..because the first time you dont it will bite you ....there is a reason the coast guard only wants us to go 70 ...because faster than that... just the surface tension of the water is like concreate and can kill u...thankfully we usually scrub speed before we hit and dont hit straight on rather skim across it .. so respect it.... but enjoy it

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information