+1

Ever seen oil gel up in the tank?

I can now say I have. I have been working on a 01' Gtx rfi ski for a while trying to figure out why I kept burning rear pistons (3 total). When I check the oil tank and though it was good so I just drained it and refilled it. Wrong. If www.dalesjetsports.com didn't go out of his way to help me I would have burned up another rear piston. I took him about 30 seconds to find the problem with my ski. The oil tank was cracked and the oil had a ton of gel in it. Looks like brown hair gel. He had the tank and the filter in stock, sweet! He also showed me how to set my throttle position, mine was way off. This guy has been in the pwc business for 20+ years and knows his stuff well. He also sells a badass standup ski called the Hydrospace. I have never seen one of these skis before I walked into his shop and man it was cool. A bit out of my price range but man it was top of the line in every category. Anyway if you have any parts or service needs go check out his place, I know I will never go back to the dealer now that I can get the stuff I need from him. Thank you Dale!!!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The only way XPSII will gel is if mixed with something else. Someone was being cheap and mixed oils. This clogged your oil filter and squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak...there goes a piston.

This is pretty common. Trying to save a buck cost a few hundred more.

Oh well...

+1
    Well water is supposed to be what caused mine. Don't really know I bought it like that. Sad thing is I check it but didn't look close enough. Thats a good point though mabey someone before me put some crappy oil in there and thats what clogged the filter. I am just glad I got it fixed now so I can finnaly ride it!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    Well water is supposed to be what caused mine. Don't really know I bought it like that. Sad thing is I check it but didn't look close enough. Thats a good point though mabey someone before me put some crappy oil in there and thats what clogged the filter. I am just glad I got it fixed now so I can finnaly ride it!
    Yeah...the dealers love it when an owner tries to go cheap. Because they never drain the tank and change the oil filter. They assume the old oil will mix. Then it gels and clogs the filter, and you know the rest.

To confirm whether it was water or not, pour some water and a small amount of your oil in a small cup, and see if it gels or turns the same color that was in your oil tank.

Banned User
    Ive seen seadoo synthetic oil gel and really only in the older oil about 2-3 years ago but I see clogged oil filters all the time. And the sad part is that Seadoo knows about the promblem and Ive actually sent back the filters back for them to examine. I recomend replacing the filter every year. Also I like the semi or even the mineral oil better ( it seems that they dont gum or gel as bad as synthetic ) hopefully this will help. JOJO

Thread Information