Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Data Acquisition

After reading some posts about data acquisition, EGT probes, etc, I started poking around the web. Over in the Honda side of GH, Nirtoshark has used a similar type of system on his machine. This is the latest offering from Racepak and uses GPS data for the speed readout. Just passing it along. Looks like it may fit the dash area of a GPR. I requested the dimensions over on their forum. I hope Hydro sees this, I think he was looking for something like this, I just hope it updates fast enough!
    http://www.racepak.com/IQ3Dash/

Awesome stuff there for sure, but with an awesome price also... Information is priceless though if you want to tune to perfection.
    Remember when racepack computer data aquisition came into play in the NHRA.. All of a sudden everybody KNEW what to adjust, instead of the good ole, seat of the pants tuneup..

+1
    That is Bad Ass

+1
    I agree, its a little on the expensive side, but it would replace: PET tach, EGT system, and GPS at the least. (at least $600 bucks worth of stuff right there) You could also accurately test acceleration and prop slippage, and also monitor pump tunnel pressure. All these channels could be set with an alarm if the programed value were exceeded. This would be even more useful if you wanted to outfit your boat with a little N20. GPRXP and four stroke guys could also monitor oil, boost, and fuel pressure. This setup would be the cats azz! Tim at Racepak posted the actual IQ3 template. Looks like it might fit where our dash is now located. The measurements are 7.3" X 4.1" and about 2.1" at its thickest. Cool stuff.
    Last edited by Prism; 11-12-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Holy smoke! Any idea how difficult it would be to wire this type of unit up to monitor the key data? Would this type of unit be better than hooking up the manfrs own diagnostic software with some kind of real time digital read?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    That is Sweet!
    Here's one that dosen't have as many features,but might serve the purpose of some needed info.
    http://www.digatronusa.com/index.shtml

DT-50K Series Features:
    • <LI class=body-text>Engine RPM (Tachometer), Jackshaft RPM, and up to four temperatures. <LI class=body-text>Timing with an infrared or magnetic sensor. <LI class=body-text>RPM recorded 10 times per second. Temperatures record 4 times per second. Displayed to the 100th of a second. <LI class=body-text>Maximum readings of all functions. Minimum readings of RPM. <LI class=body-text>Full hour of datalogging and detailed playback. <LI class=body-text>Free P.C. Downloadable software. Features: Custom instrument configuration, charts, graphs and log book. USB and serial computer input. <LI class=body-text>Automatic power on and off feature. <LI class=body-text>Backlight for night viewing. <LI class=body-text>( Highly visible red L.E.D. warning/shift lights. <LI class=body-text>Quality lightweight high-impact aluminum casing.
      Large, bright, easy-to-read displays. <LI class=body-text>Water resistant. <LI class=body-text>Lifetime Warranty.
    • Quickest and most reliable sensors on the market.

+1
    My only question regarding both of these units is: are they waterproof? The Race pak unit having the memory card in the face I would say no right off the bat.

data acquisition

Oside - they are not waterproof (found out the hard way). The Digatron is a single unit that mounts on the dash. The Racepak has two seperate parts. The part pictured in the post is the dash display and there is another box that is the brain box. We place the brainbox in a Pelican case to add some extra insurance. Both require modifying the exhaust collectors to get the EGT sensors in there. Both update fast enough as we have both for three years now on our boats. Very handy for prop selection and jet tuning. Also handy for knowing your speed during record runs.

+1
    I can see where these would work great in your boat. Now tell me more on the record setting run? Someday I hope to see you and James in action you need to keep us posted in the racing section on the events you are in, I am sure many here would enjoy watching you.

+1
    There might be some confusion. This datalogger (IQ3) has not been released yet. It is scheduled to release in December. The unit is stand alone. This means there is no separate box required to datalog. The dash display is the datalogger "box". They are planing on releasing a dash only display for customers who have the older data boxes but want the new display, one is not required however when using the full feature ($1395) IQ3. Also the system is water resistant for use in open cockpit craft where it will be splashed. All of these items have been discussed on their Q&A section of the new IQ3 website. Take a look here, it will answer lots of questions.
    http://www.racepak.com/forums/viewto...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
    Alan
    Last edited by Prism; 11-14-2007 at 12:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information