Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Greg G

Few GSXL questions........

I am new to the forums here and from browsing it appears there is a treasure trove of information here. So far all I have had done to my GSXL is ProX flame arrestors, rejetted accordingly, TDR water box, and some pump tuning. How inacurate are the factory speedos? Mine reads around 72-75 at WOT. What are some more relatively easy mods to get a little more top speed, I would rather not go into the motor at this time since it is running great and extremely reliable right now. What do the pop-off valves do, I am talking about the plastic things near the carbs and the one on the water box. The one on the water box leaks around the base, are these things expensive to replace?
    I love my GSXL and have no intentions of getting rid of it, its just to much fun and pretty stable even with a passenger.
    Thx in advance

Greg G

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mpdxtreme View Post
    I am new to the forums here and from browsing it appears there is a treasure trove of information here. So far all I have had done to my GSXL is ProX flame arrestors, rejetted accordingly, TDR water box, and some pump tuning. How inacurate are the factory speedos? Mine reads around 72-75 at WOT. What are some more relatively easy mods to get a little more top speed, I would rather not go into the motor at this time since it is running great and extremely reliable right now. What do the pop-off valves do, I am talking about the plastic things near the carbs and the one on the water box. The one on the water box leaks around the base, are these things expensive to replace?
    I love my GSXL and have no intentions of getting rid of it, its just to much fun and pretty stable even with a passenger.
    Thx in advance

Greg G

Welcome to the site!!!

WOW, never had my speedo on my old GSXL read that high....But your ski stock was doing about 59-60mph on the GPS....

From the mods you listed, if you toss a sligtly higher compressed head, you will get MASSIVE response...and a better responding ski...

Those pop offs are actually part of your exhaust system...They regulate the exhaust pressure to help the 2-stroke build power at specific RPM's...

the one around the muffler is the cooling system and water injection, and it is VITAL that it does not leak...It is if it leaks, then water is not cool the motor and/or exhaust properly and you will burn stuff up...

How bad does it leak? driping or gushing?......Ride the ski with the seat off, look down and see how much water it is leaking UNDER PRESSURE from the pump...running it on a hose will not work....

here is a picture directory of when my GSXL blew up, then I rebuild the motor and it ran STRONGER...I could pull an Stage 1 RXP on a hole shot up to 50mph by 2-3 boat lengths, then get passed...
    http://www.theudells.com/PWC/readers...ld/rebuild.htm

Greg G
    I have been thinking about a head, any suggestions, and also I have seen a "stinger" end for the stock exhaust, is it worth it. Loved the photo spread, especially the ending.
    The popoff valve is just a very slow leak, it wont even make it far enough down to drip off the water box before it evaporates. I will get one before riding season next year, is there any thing special involved when installing one?

Greg G

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mpdxtreme View Post
    I have been thinking about a head, any suggestions, and also I have seen a "stinger" end for the stock exhaust, is it worth it. Loved the photo spread, especially the ending.
    The popoff valve is just a very slow leak, it wont even make it far enough down to drip off the water box before it evaporates. I will get one before riding season next year, is there any thing special involved when installing one?

Greg G

The stinger, its okay, but you'd be better off with the lower half of an exhaust from a 97.5 GSXL 947....

As for the head, give a call to PPG down in Florida. Thats who did my work, they can shave and mill your current head...Tell them Danny sent ya!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The stinger, its okay, but you'd be better off with the lower half of an exhaust from a 97.5 GSXL 947....
    The headpipe (upper) is the preferred piece of the exhaust system on a 97.5 GSXL.

Just keeing it accurate...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    The headpipe (upper) is the preferred piece of the exhaust system on a 97.5 GSXL.

Just keeing it accurate...

I thought it was the lower half? I never ran it on mine...

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Naw...it is the upper Danny. The pipe doesn't turn as sharply at the first bend from the exhaust manifold. 50 rpm gain.

Banned User
    +1
    dur, I see it (in my head) now...

Then why was there this BIG PUSH to swap out the lower half a few years ago?

+1
    Manifold & top half were the sought after items.

Banned User
    +1
    I must be thinking about somthing else....At one time there was a through/trend/fad/whatever about replacing the lower half of the exhaust with a different unit...I might have thought it was the lower half, but it could have been the upper....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information