Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

J pipe exhaust leak at manifold flange

Fired up the ski, put my hand on the connection between the manifold and J pipe and felt an exhaust leak. Pulled the J pipe off and noticed some pieces of rope packed between the inner and outer flanges. I pulled a piece out and layed it inside the pipe so you can see it in the pic. I have no clue why there's rope packed in there. Any ideas? I also took a pic of the exhaust manifold outlet. It's not melted and looks OK to me. Could somebody tell me what i need to do to get a good seal at this connection? It looks to me like the exhaust "seal" is just the outer flange of the j pipe held against the exhaust manifold by the clamp. Is this right? If so, no wonder the darn thing leaked, what a flimsy way to make a seal. Would a high temp joint sealing compound help here? I thought this would be a simple fix but now it looks like I might be in over my head as I'm not even sure what I'm looking at. Help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02693.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	45129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02694.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	45130  

+1
    if u bought the ski used maybe someone was trying to mask the leak with the rope trying to seal it somehow then it fianlly burn out if u didnt buy it used then who knows Gun!

+1
    who did you buy the ski from?

+1

Yep, I bought the ski used from a guy in Wilmington, NC. I guess they thought the leak was coming from the mesh flex joint area and tried to hide the leak with the rope? To test that theory I covered the outlet end of the j pipe with a piece plastic wrap and secured it with a rubber band so it is water tight. Then i filled the j pipe with water all the way up to the top of the outer flange. The area where the rope was is under water. Guess what, it's tight as a drum no leaks. Now what? Did they guess wrong about where the leak was when they stuffed rope in there? Is filling the j pipe with water a good enough test for a leak?
    When I put my hand on the pipe it felt like the leak was coming from under the clamp which would be the flange joint. If this is where the leak is coming from any ideas how to seal this joint? Should I just clean everything up with a wire brush making sure the sealing surfaces are smooth and then put it back together dry? Or should I try some kind a sealer on the flange?

I had a leak in the same place, after I put it together using a little mirror, all was well...
    As much as I thought I had it together right the first time, the clamp slipped over the lip and wasn't biting on a blind spot that I couldn't see without a mirror...
    Good luck
    JP

+1
    i called it!!!!!!!!!! sorry to hear they tried to decieve u though cause that SUCKS BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
    Hope you got that ski cheap! I have never seen one so dirty, corroded and such. Its had a lot of work doen on it too, just look at the condidtuon of the motor lift bracket. That engine has been in and out a few times.

I would go over it from one end to the other to find what else the have
    "fixed" incorrectly. Will save you from a possible break down or getting stranded.

He rode it in salt water and stored it outside with a cover. Leaving the seats on trapped the water inside and allowed it to condense on everything. It had 75 hrs on it when I bought it. I've put about 5 on it. He had a new starter and battery installed and the angle bearing replaced. The previous owner had the instrument cluster replaced under warranty. The NA 4 tec engine shows
    215,210,210 on my compression guage and spark plugs look like new. I replaced the impeller and wear ring. That stopped the cavitation on holeshot and will top out about 56-57 on the speedo. The driveshaft is completely rusted from the salt water, but hasn't caused any problems so far. The ECU is not showing any codes. The wiring harness looks intact and no corrosion inside the connections. The ground connections on the block and battery were all corroded and I cleaned them up. I'm starting to go over the ski now looking for problems which is how I found the exhaust leak. What else should I look for?

Note to self: When you pull the seat off a used ski and see condensation on the under side, RUN AWAY!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information