Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help with Video Cameras

I'm looking for some help on finding a good video cam. The family is looking for something for Christmas that we can all use and have some fun with. We have never had one before, so I'm wondering what's good and what to stay away from? What's good for entry level? Are the dvd ones worth it? I will use it to take videos of the ski and such, but waterproof isn't a big deal because I don't plan on taking it on the ski with me. What are some important specs to look for?

Thanks for the help.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPkid View Post
    I'm looking for some help on finding a good video cam. The family is looking for something for Christmas that we can all use and have some fun with. We have never had one before, so I'm wondering what's good and what to stay away from? What's good for entry level? Are the dvd ones worth it? I will use it to take videos of the ski and such, but waterproof isn't a big deal because I don't plan on taking it on the ski with me. What are some important specs to look for?

Thanks for the help.

I personally would stay away from the ones that record directly to a DVD...a few people I know have them, and traded in, because they got jolted HARD during a record and it error'd out...

I personally will be getting a new camera by Mudbug, going with one that is tapeless and records to a drive...makes file transfer and editing A LOT easier...

Don't go with a hard-disk camera, they don't work very well in harsh, vibrating environments. JD1 and I tried one on his ski and it would cut out every time he revved the engine. Another friend was using one at a football game and it would drop out every time she panned the camera too fast.
    Look for one that uses solid-state flash memory cards, such as Panasonic's P2 or stick with traditional tape. I'm a big fan of miniDV camcorders because they're inexpensive to purchase and the tapes small and easy to get.
    Last edited by gtxsc03; 11-19-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Here's some camcorder reviews for ya'
    http://reviews.cnet.com/camcorders/

+1

Talking

With all that said, I've got the Canon HV 10. It uses a DV Tape and records at 1080i. And yes, I've held this thing with one hand while filming at full speed on my rxp.

First, my thoughts on the camera:

Sick. I've got a 1080p tv and the 1080i output from my HV10 is absolutely amazing. I've filmed wakeboarding, skiing, and random events. Its a great camera. Although, low light conditions make the "HD" quality a little crappy. Apparently, they came out with a new one since mine that has tried to fix this.

If using a PC:

Here is the thing, although gtxsc03 suggested to go with a tape option, I would stay away from it. Basically, I have 4 of these tapes full of sweet High Def video that I can't simply take off and put on my computer or burn it to a dvd. The fact is that unless your running a newer PC, the time you decide to capture the video and make movies, your computer won't be able to keep up. What I mean is that you actually have to sit and wait for the video to record 'real time' which is slow and boring. Not too mention after around 5 mins of this, most computers can't store all that information that fast so it screws up the video.

Using a newer Mac with iMovie:

I went to my cousin's and made a nice wakeboard movie out of about 20 mins of my footage. It couldn't have been easier. Mac made things soooo simple and trust me, I hate macs, but this has forced me to look into buying one.

The reason why I suggest going with a 'hard drive' option is because all the new "HD" cameras are phasing tapes out. They realize that the consumer knows its a pain in the ass to capture the video on the computer and would rather just drag and drop video on our computer just like we do with our digital cameras. The hard drive option, formats the video for you, saves you time and money on tapes that only last 55 mins filming at 1080i.

Here is a video from a friend of my brothers who uses this camera to film skiing

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ht=skier+dudes

Good luck
    Last edited by vidbuster; 11-19-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.aspx?grp=DVC

those are all the one's that i sell... if you see anything you like. lemme know and i will get you the special green hulk pricing discount

+1
    If you want to keep the video you film for years to come, there is no better medium than DV tape. Hard drives all evidentually crash. Flash memory cards are not intended for permanent storage. If you record the video onto a DVD you had better be prepared to make new copies every year or two because an original home recorded DVD has an amazingly short life span. They start to degrade in as little as 2 years and will evidentually become unviewable. This is one aspect that the makers of DVD recorders and software try to avoid discussing. Make a DVD of your kids first BD and by the time he's old enough to understand what he's watching the disc will be nothing but static !!

Richard

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

I Would Recommend The Sanyo E1 Mini Camcorder/Camera

Check this camera out It's a Sanyo VPC-E1 Movie Camera that also takes
    6 Mega Pixel Still Photos. Cool thing is when your shooting a video you can take still photos in video mode with the touch of a button.

I know you said you didn't realy need a waterproof video camera but having one would be more versitle & a better bang for your buck. You can shoot in the rain,snow or while on your ski and under water or just on dry land also.

Also because it's fully waterproof it's made very durable so the entire family can use it. If you spill something on it you don't have to worry because it's totally sealed. It also has a wind blocker microphone for better outdoor recording.

It's very comapct and it records onto a standard SD Memory Card. You can transfer the Photos and Videos onto your computer with the supplied USB cable and Software that it comes with.

Here is the link to the Sanyo page that shows all the specs on the Sanyo E1--->http://www.sanyodigital.com/product.aspx?v=1

I paid $400.00 for mine at an online store but even wallmart and bestbuy sell them.

Here are some photos of the Waterproof E1 Video camera. I love mine it's a great camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SanyoE1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	45546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SanyoE12.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	45547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SanyoE13.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	45548  

Thanks for all the help fellas and if anyone else has suggestions please keep posting them.

I still have to look at some of these camcorders in depth more, so I'll probably be back with more questions. Thanks again!

yep dvc(digital video cassette) is the way to go, easy transfer to your computer, no need to dump film if your out of memory just buy more tapes, and you always have a back-up even after its on the computer...i take mine on my ski and my bike hooked up to my helmet cam all the time, i jump waves/tabletops all day and it doesnt skip a beat,,,,ive got the sony handycam dcr-hc96, the best dvc camera IMO....plus the lanc remote
    Last edited by RDH; 11-19-2007 at 11:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information