Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running without thermostat

i would like to know if anybody has ran without the thermostat or if it can not be done?

+1
    A 4 stroke engine must maintain an operating temperature to run at optimum efficiency.

The best thing to do is run one of the 158 degree thermostats on the market.

Very true ... no thermo will result in the coolant moving to freely and quickly, not giving it enough time to soak the heat from the block.

I have been running without a thermostat in my 22' Baja 454 Mag supercharged engine for years without a problem. Procharger says to run without thermostat.

[quote="RXPDAVID"]I have been running without a thermostat in my 22' Baja 454 Mag supercharged engine for years without a problem. Procharger says to run without thermostat. [/quote

I HAVE POSTED BEFORE in europe the top guys have been running endurance racing with out the thermostat . the other advantage is never run the risk og the thermostat getting stuck.

+1
    There are and always will be 2 sides of the fence on thermostats. A piston is designed to actually turn round from heat. So if not enough heat you could be damadging the cylinder walls. In a boat (jet inpeticular) there is a gate valve from the pump. A pump overwaters a motor so the valve must be closed enough to reach 160.

I`d love to run without one. Or if anything a restrictor.

+1
    I am using a Riva stat but have run a Procharger on my Fountain for five years with no issues but I do change my oil about every ten hours. Go to http://www.offshoreonly.com/ and do a search in the tech section on tstats. You will find more info on supercharged marine engines there than anywhere else from the top engine builders in the world. I have thought about not running one in my RXP, wonder if RR or Riva has tested that? Oh wait, if they recommended that then they would not be able to rape us on their kits!

+1
    Wanna bet on info. Use to visit said site but just kinda never left www.hotboat.com since `97.

the engine needs to reach a certain temperature so the clearance are right. A piston is going to heat up no matter what because it is in direct contact with the heat source, but if the sleeves that surround that piston are being cooled with 80 degree water instead of 158 degree water the clearance between the two is not going to be the same. A lot of people don't realize that the difference in expansion properties of the Aluminum piston and the Iron sleeve cause the cold clearance of say .006 to decrease to almost a press fit when the engine is warmed up. If the sleeve is not allowed to warm up because your throwing cold water to it this clearance is just too close. The difference in clearance will be even more with 45 degree water and IMO in cold water sitiuations it could be extreme enough to cause a problem. In a hot rod I never run without anything in the place of the thermostat but will use a restrictor plate. Companies like Moroso sell disc that are the outside diameter of the thermostat with different size holes in the center so the flow can be regulated and temperature adjusted. I always had good luck just removing the guts of the thermostat but that was for warm weather only!

So, run a thermostat.

Indy27, Is yours a single or a twin? What kind of gps speeds are you getting?

GTXX, Our lake temps range between 70 to 90 deg. If we were running hard in cold water there might be a problem. I run the 158 deg thermo in my rxp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information