Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

thru the hull HOLE

I need to drill the hole for the exhaust tip and I am EXTREMELY worried I am gonna it up.

the hole saw blade is brand new.
    Should the drill with the most torque/speed be used.
    The drills I have:
    Makita 18v lith ion
    Rigid 18v hammer drill (tons of torque and power even on non-hammer functions)
    Dewalt 14.4v
    Cheap electric drill.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would use whatever feels the most comfortable to you, less bulky. I don`t think I`d use the hammer gun .
    mask that puppy off, mark it and go my brother! ...PR...

what are you using the riva outlet with paper pattern, yes, cake walk!...

actualy I was just gonna eye it. LOL
    I had the riva template taped up today, drill in hand, full battery and no balls to do it.

never done anything like this so I am somewhat anxious.

but then again I want to do it and not have someone else do it for me.

+1
    Use the Makita on the slowest setting, the faster the hole saw spins the more wobble you will get. Tape over the gelcoat using masking tape, to reduce chipping, and cut through the gelcoat use reverse, you are basically just scribing the gelcoat. Once you get through the gelcoat, put the drill in forward and take your time, constantly checking your angle of the drill. After you get the big hole drilled using the template, don't drill the drill the four small holes, use the exhaust tip as the template for the 4 small holes, again take your time and constantly check the angle of the drill.

Good Luck.

use a drill guide to make sure ur holes are perpendicular to the hull. this will make your 4 smaller holes line up easily. they can be found at home depot for about 30.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3121

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    it is un nerving isnt it... i cut mine a little tight and clearaced it w a dremel so it just fit ...then you will c some looks like cotton batting or fibers... i sealed this w jb weld.. epoxy would b good as well.. it was what i had ...then installed the thruough hull fitting w silicone.. all is well so far

Scott, after I trial fit the outlet and drilled the 4 mounting holes. I made an easy way for me to secure the screws/bolts with working by myself.
    I got a coat hanger or stiff tie wire, fed the wire from the outside of the hull where the outlet mounts, hooked the retaining/mounting ring onto the wire and pulled it down to the large hole, while doing so I put a good bead of silicone around the inside perimeter where the flange ring will reside. I had some temporary bolts with washers made up, and I then pulled the flange into position disconnecting the wire and holding it with my fingers, starting all 4 bolts and tightening evenly to about 30inlbs. when the silicone smooshed out along the edge of the raw fiberglass I spread it around the exposed cut area and let cure for 24 hours.
    now when you go to install the outlet itself, simply remove the temporary bolts and the mounting flange will remain in position, don`t use that rubber gasket that is supplied with the kit, apply a bead of silicone around the mating surface enough so it will ooze out when installed, after installing and tightening outlet to 30-50inlbs whatever feels good to you, spray the seal/siliconed area with glass cleaner and wipe excess off with your finger, do this as often as necc to achieve a neat appearance, also let this sit for 24 hours and your done with the outlet install!...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-29-2008 at 07:08 AM.

Unnerving, absolutely.
    I went as far as putting the holesaw blade one the drill, pulled the small seat over and was ready , aim then the governor called.

Thanks Andy,
    Yep even had the coat hangers, shop vac, even had some cardboard taped in the hull to limit the spray of debris. I was all ready. But chickened out.

c`mon, you gonna make me drive all the way up there ...PR...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information