Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Bolts

+1

Rusty Bolts

Is it common to see rusty motor bolts in yami's?? Is that usually a sign of a problem or is it pretty normal??
    Thanks
    Doug

African-American
    +1
    if its been in the sea, chances are they will be rusty.

since they are stainless steal bolts, you can clean them up on a wire brush.

+1
    I guess I'm not sure if it's possible to have a well taken care of ski (mechanically) but still have rusty bolts on the motor???
    Just seems like it's kinda common on the yamaha's??

Moderated
    i had a look at a second hand 03 or 04 model for a mate that had 25 hours on it and the owners must have never flushed or washed that ski out as it had serious rust issues all over its internals.

it was like they had sunk it and never bothered getting water out of it... i told him not to buy it...

i notced some bolts on my 02 have slight rust stains but they are not rusted as such, just surface stuff.

damn salt water....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    i had a look at a second hand 03 or 04 model for a mate that had 25 hours on it and the owners must have never flushed or washed that ski out as it had serious rust issues all over its internals.

it was like they had sunk it and never bothered getting water out of it... i told him not to buy it...

i notced some bolts on my 02 have slight rust stains but they are not rusted as such, just surface stuff.

damn salt water....
    That was my first impression as well. I recently looked at a newer ski and the outside of the ski looked fantastic, it ran fantastic, but the first thing that came to my mind when I looked at the motor was it looked like it had been sunk and the water sat in there...... Definitatly more than surface rust I passed, but then wondered if I was being over critical about some bolts...
    Thanks
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I guess I'm not sure if it's possible to have a well taken care of ski (mechanically) but still have rusty bolts on the motor???
    Just seems like it's kinda common on the yamaha's??

I dont feel that is true. A well taken care of machine should never rush. The engine is in a compartment away from the weather. granted you get water in there but if you wipe down the machine and lube everything up you should have no rust. I have a stock 1997 Gp1200 and a modified 1998 gp1200 with NO RUST. I also have a single trailer no rust. On the other hand i bought a 2 plane shoreland'r trailer and that was rusted all around the welds. But that trailer is now in the shop getting sand blasted and powdercoated. But i think if you spend 5 extra min a day wiping things down there should be no rust. Treat it like a classic muscle car.

+1
    So the GPR is sort of a "wet" hull. Those 2 front mounted 4" air intakes do guzzle a fair amount of water. Add in some air/water leaks and you will see rust on a salt water machine. PLUS, the engine bolts on the Yami were plated...not SST.

Then mount your carbs near the bottom of the hull, and add in some rough water, and you got yourself a nice corrosion rich environment.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    I dont feel that is true. A well taken care of machine should never rush. The engine is in a compartment away from the weather. granted you get water in there but if you wipe down the machine and lube everything up you should have no rust. I have a stock 1997 Gp1200 and a modified 1998 gp1200 with NO RUST. I also have a single trailer no rust. On the other hand i bought a 2 plane shoreland'r trailer and that was rusted all around the welds. But that trailer is now in the shop getting sand blasted and powdercoated. But i think if you spend 5 extra min a day wiping things down there should be no rust. Treat it like a classic muscle car.
    Good point! My 00' SD RX doesn't have a spot of rust on it, either does my 96' Waveventure. But they both sit in the garage with the seats off when not on the water and get sprayed down/lubed before every ride and washed when they get home.

I just wasn't sure if it was common for the newer yami's to have some rusty bolts. This was ONLY on the motor, nowhere else on the ski....

I wish I could say the same about MY trailer....friggin' shorlander double trailer rustin' hunk of scrap sittin' in my yard.... But it sits out 24/7 and as long as it's structurally/mechanically sound I don't care about trailers.... It's what's in the garage that I care about...
    Thanks!
    Doug

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    So the GPR is sort of a "wet" hull. Those 2 front mounted 4" air intakes do guzzle a fair amount of water. Add in some air/water leaks and you will see rust on a salt water machine. PLUS, the engine bolts on the Yami were plated...not SST.

Then mount your carbs near the bottom of the hull, and add in some rough water, and you got yourself a nice corrosion rich environment.
    Mark,
    How did you know I was looking at a GPR??
    Actually, I've looked at 2 now and they both were the same. Rust on the cover bolts for the power valves, rust on the bigger bolts that the pipe attaches to the motor and at the bolts on the front bracket attached to the head. Both ski's had quite a bit of corrosion on these bolts. It appeared to be more than surface rusting.

Would this scare you away from a ski if everything else checked out good??
    Thanks
    Doug

+1
    No Doug,
    I wouldn't give it a moments notice, as long as you don't see crystalline structures sitting in the bottom of the hull like this. Flushing a GPR and a rudimentary washing of the hull will eliminate most of the problems...but the cheesy plated bolts will get attacked almost every time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information