Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Talking Okeechobee, Kissimmee, St. Lucie, Everglades

Hey all. I'm looking for some new and different places to ride...getting BORED with the ocean and Lake Ida. I've read some other posts about people riding in Lake Okeechobee, the Kissimee river (saw some cool vids online of some riders going through there), and the St. Lucie Canal.

Can anyone give any tips for riding in these parts, and/or would anyone be interested in a trip to one? I'd like to go asap or within the next few weeks.

Btw, anyone ever thought or gone riding in the waterways around Alligator Alley and/or off Rt.27? Maybe I'm thinking to far "outside the box" with this one!

+1

Kissimee River

Kissimee River has turned out to be just about the best all round ride in FL.

Last time up there in Sept we had 12 ski's and all had the time of their life. In addition to riding river twisties, you get to go through locks like the Panama canal, a trip.

It's a good 3 hour ride from Ft. Lauderdale, going up US27 to west of the city of Okeechobee.

I'd like to do one more before end of year. Let's get all the players talking and maybe we'll put something together.

I don't know if you can run a jetski in the Everglades off of US27 or at Holiday Park where all the airboats go out of. I have GPS, but those canals are that well marked...........plus the gators are a little more interested in your tender hide since they get to see lots of tasty tourists. The gators are out up on Kisssimee, but during the day they're lazy and aren't usually seen that much. Now towards sundown....put it this way, give me your SS# and I'm taking out a policy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kissimee River Spring 2007 2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	45628  

Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    Kissimee River has turned out to be just about the best all round ride in FL.

Last time up there in Sept we had 12 ski's and all had the time of their life. In addition to riding river twisties, you get to go through locks like the Panama canal, a trip.

It's a good 3 hour ride from Ft. Lauderdale, going up US27 to west of the city of Okeechobee.

I'd like to do one more before end of year. Let's get all the players talking and maybe we'll put something together.

I don't know if you can run a jetski in the Everglades off of US27 or at Holiday Park where all the airboats go out of. I have GPS, but those canals are that well marked...........plus the gators are a little more interested in your tender hide since they get to see lots of tasty tourists. The gators are out up on Kisssimee, but during the day they're lazy and aren't usually seen that much. Now towards sundown....put it this way, give me your SS# and I'm taking out a policy!
    Hey, yeah it was your vids I saw of your trip that really got me interested. Loved the twists and turns...and the cows! lol. How was the water depth though?

When I was younger, my family used to have a lake house in Buckhead Ridge, just west of Okeechobee where my father I used to bass fish. I went up in August with my mom to visit some ppl, stopped by Okee-Tantie and was shocked at how low the water was. Do you put in there or somewhere else?

3 hours!?? Maybe I have a heavy foot but it takes me about 1.5 - 2 hours to Buckhead Ridge/Okeechobee going I-95 getting off at 45th Street in WPB, North Miltary Trail to 710, then just through Indiantown cut over to Rt.98 which meets up to 78.

But about riding the river, did you have a particular time you thought you'd want to go? Let me know cause I'd love to go and if we could get a group together, that'd be cool.

+1

River riding

The water levels were actually up in Aug/Sept compared to the Spring.
    I don't know what the main channel is, probably at least 20/30 feet.

There's a lot of tanin in the water, hence the dark brown. You put your
    hand in and it disapears. Those river runs which are the actual Kissimee are about 4 to 10 ft in the center. When you're up on plane you're only drawing
    a few inches, maybe a foot. That's the beauty of jet drives.

Sometimes there is a patch of water lily type vegetation. The technique
    is chop the throttle and you sail over it without sucking it into your prop.
    Once over it (seconds) you hit it and you're bookin' it!

Its about 108 miles from Weston to that ramp location. However you do have
    traffic, some slow areas, etc. We took this big caravan and of course between the pit stops, blown trailer tire, etc it slows you down.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    The water levels were actually up in Aug/Sept compared to the Spring.
    I don't know what the main channel is, probably at least 20/30 feet.

There's a lot of tanin in the water, hence the dark brown. You put your
    hand in and it disapears. Those river runs which are the actual Kissimee are about 4 to 10 ft in the center. When you're up on plane you're only drawing
    a few inches, maybe a foot. That's the beauty of jet drives.

Sometimes there is a patch of water lily type vegetation. The technique
    is chop the throttle and you sail over it without sucking it into your prop.
    Once over it (seconds) you hit it and you're bookin' it!

Its about 108 miles from Weston to that ramp location. However you do have
    traffic, some slow areas, etc. We took this big caravan and of course between the pit stops, blown trailer tire, etc it slows you down.

Oh ok, cool...NW'ish of Okeechobee. Never liked the lilies...always got my lure caught. How far up the river did you go?

FZS-T
    I'm in!!!!! Tom is was a fun Ride and i recomended to anyone!

I'm there like a bear Tom.

I'm getting excited...this is awesome that we're getting some more people interested in going. I don't know much about the ride/launch area/etc. to do the planning so Tom would you mind doing the honors?

What's a good day for everyone? I can get a few other friends to go with us as well but Sunday's are bad. The sooner the better

+1

What about this Sat?

What about this Sat? We could meet at the ramp at
    11 or 12. There is at least riding til 5:00 before sun starts
    to go down.

Then its off to RJ Gators........

We can all roll together. I still think US27 is the best route
    out of western Broward county. We can meet in Weston
    and roll.....

I'm going to really concentrate on getting the best video of
    all. So all of you ugly M F $#$## shave and wear you're Sunday Best!

over.........

The last ride we did at the river was the best experience ive had on a ski ever. id love to go, i dont know if im still gona be down by then.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information