Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TBM Handlebars for the 250X

Installed both pieces and tested 120 miles in the ocean - we like this mod! Especially if you are a standup rider - increases heigth of handlebars approx. four inches which enables a higher riding position for the standup offshore rider, easier on the back and legs as you don't have to squat as much. If you are over 6 ft, a no brainer (if you have the $$$). Wider handlebars enables greater stability. If you buy the system, by both pieces. BTW - no, they are not a sponsor - I just like the mod for offshore.

Pictures on of the system installed on www.pwcoffshore.com , click on 250X page

Great post, Ive been thinking about custom bars. A few questions, why TBM over UMI? Is the primary reason to upgrade for better bar strength or better standing position? I know PWC Ill put TBMs on its LB/Cat Ultra and warned that the stock bar bushing is plastic and of modest strength but Ive not had any problems with mine yet despite some heavy use. I normally ride with stock bars all the way up, are you saying that the TBMs sit 4" higher than that? Cant you adjust those TBMs to most any height? Thnkx

yes, the stock bushings are weak and prone to breaking from what I understand. At just under 70 hours, my stock bushings got loose but never broke.

Yes they stand about four inches higher than stock (check out the pictures) and place the rider a little further back in the tray that could result in a litle more bow out of the water. They are not adjustable forward and back, just up and down - making them adjustable back and forth would weaken the system.

Base plate has sealed bearings, recommended

UMI is a very low system - UMI is good gear and good for closed course where you want to be low and aggressive in multiple quick turns. My logic is I ride at WOT for very long durations in the open ocean, therefore I stand to avoid taking a pounding - the tall (and wide) bars take a great deal of load off my lower back and legs (I don't have to lean over as much while riding).

Also, by virtue of how open the system is, it doesn't block air flow - I have the R&D breather / filter under the glove box - this mod could help in opening up the air flow (removing the stock bar plastic) and help get air into the engine compartment.

Great explanation. I think its a good call. The other advantage I see is better visibility for existing & xtra guages. I initially thought that the plastic bar cover was an ok mount surface for addtl guages but now the forward mount against existing panel seems easier, esp w custom bars.

I wish I could credit these 2 GH members for their outstanding installs but lost link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dig Guage Mount.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	45653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ultra Guage Mt.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	265.8 KB 
ID:	45654  

Lost link. ?

I will also be trying the TBM but I find it more designed for the Offshore group.

Tim will be offering a set of CC pipes to modify the steering for use buoy bangers.

Boy, thats a gaffe on my part! I dont do anything halfway. I got so focused on guages I didnt notice the obvious Team Moto bow#!

Quote Originally Posted by Socaloffshore View Post
    Installed both pieces...

If you buy the system, by both pieces...
    SoCal, the TBM forks are $300+ and the separate sealed bearing plate is $500+ I can see why having both is ideal, but can we assume the sealed bearing plate is only necessary for the most hardcore offshore work? I see that TBM says that you can get the forks and then upgrade to sealed plate later which is I think where I'm headed but would appreciate your opinion. Also, do the custom forks change risk of water intrusion over stock setup in any way? I'm guessing no but I can also see that the new Riva panel that seals this area with UMI steeering might be best protection. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    SoCal, the TBM forks are $300+ and the separate sealed bearing plate is $500+ I can see why having both is ideal, but can we assume the sealed bearing plate is only necessary for the most hardcore offshore work? I see that TBM says that you can get the forks and then upgrade to sealed plate later which is I think where I'm headed but would appreciate your opinion. Also, do the custom forks change risk of water intrusion over stock setup in any way? I'm guessing no but I can also see that the new Riva panel that seals this area with UMI steeering might be best protection. Thanks.
    Blue,

the bushings on te stock setup are weak, one of a few weaknesses the ULTRA25OX comes with stock. If you just do the forks, as I started with, you will notice a little play and you will increase the pressure on those stock bushings due to the increased heigth / length of the forks whcih creates more leverage / pressure on the bushings - not good. I suggest that if you want to do this mod, that you do the forks and the bearing plate (I did) - yes big bucks but recommended. Hard core rider or not, the long forks put a lot of pressure on the stock bushings. Regarding water intrusion - maybe a little bit if you are running the R&D filter / breather under your storage ompartment as I am however I don't think this is a source of major concern.

If you're an offshore rider - this is a great mod.

I just installed the TBM bars, but had Tim cut 2 inches off the poles, i'm 6 foot and with the ability to adjust the bars still give plenty of height if you want and when not needing the height you can drop them down and they don't stand out as much, they look good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan74 View Post
    I just installed the TBM bars, but had Tim cut 2 inches off the poles, i'm 6 foot and with the ability to adjust the bars still give plenty of height if you want and when not needing the height you can drop them down and they don't stand out as much, they look good too.
    Ryan....Any chance of some pics....

cheers, English Bob...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information