Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What about this Mod?

I took a 98 GP1200 waterbox i had laying around and cut it about 1 1/2" above the (what is it) 4 or 5 welds all the way around with a grinder. Then looking down in the box there were five tubes that ran down and a flat plate that covers everything else. I took a 1/2" drill and drilled 5 holes (marked in red). Then had it welded back up. Note: be sure to mark both sides of the cut for alignment. I was looking for a little more sound and more flow. I haven't tested it yet but was going to compare it to the 1100 waterbox, baffled and power spray TDR water box.
    Last edited by krispaintballz; 09-15-2008 at 10:38 PM.

+1
    I don't know man, it looks interesting. I have never experimented with aftermarket or modified waterboxes. You seem to be thinking outside the box, I just hope it turns out to be worth your trouble.

Also, how loud do you want this animal to be? I love a nasty sounding motor as much as the next guy. However, I can't imagine wanting to hear much more growl than my single pipe emits.

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    I don't know man, it looks interesting. I have never experimented with aftermarket or modified waterboxes. You seem to be thinking outside the box, I just hope it turns out to be worth your trouble.

Also, how loud do you want this animal to be? I love a nasty sounding motor as much as the next guy. However, I can't imagine wanting to hear much more growl than my single pipe emits.

The whole mod plus the waterbox cost me nothing. It was free thats why i did it. I dont want anything loud. I am looking for a nice growl. My stock waterbox sounds too stock(no growl). But the TDR waterbox(spray) is realy loud. The baffled TDR waterbox sounds ok but too buzzy bee for me. Reminds me of them rice burning too fast too furious hondas with 900 lbs of fiberglass, airplane wing, and a weedwacker for an engine. I just thought i would get a good deeper growl and by putting the holes in it, would make it a bit louder but not as loud as a TDR. Not to mention that it would let the pipes breathe a little better. I cant get my hands on a 1100 box but i was looking at the pics of one, and i think it wont fit with the tripple pipe in there.

be prepared to loss some rpm unless you stinger the pipe(s) or the waterbox exit.

+1
    . I am glad your not a fan of the "ricer cars". Those type are a different breed all together. The fast and the furious movie series has ruined an entire generation.
    Last edited by 97GPSLEEPER; 11-20-2007 at 10:00 PM.

be prepared to lose some rpm unless you stinger the pipe(s) or the waterbox exit.

Quote Originally Posted by MTRHEAD View Post
    be prepared to lose some rpm unless you stinger the pipe(s) or the waterbox exit.
    Thats what i was afraid of. Be better to stinger the pipes or waterbox? How many rpms you think? 100-200 or 500-600? I know its hard to say cause it could be anything. Is it true that these pipes make all there power around 7400 to 7500 rpm? I am running around 7800 to 7900 rpm. Buts that was before the rebuild. I know i dont want my rpms too low and cause some strain on the 3rd cylinder. Suggestions? I am looking for a LITTLE louder and more of a deeper growl. I dont want to lose too much?(rpms,speed,etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    . I am glad your not a fan of the "ricer cars". Those type are a different breed all together. The fast and the furious movie series has ruined an entire generation.
    I build those cars for a living!! You folks have seen alot of bad examples, I know there are alotta them out there. I build muscle cars as well... I have heard it from both sides. Again just alotta bad examples by "self appointed" back-yard mechanics with a creditcard and a trip to Pepboys. Just as often I see the local "redneck" w/ the Jegs & Summit stickers plastered all over his/hers 15 sec (1/4mile) Mustang and or Camaro, that sounds like **** and slow to boot! Have any of you heard the raspy ****-can exhaust systems the guys are sticking on their C5 chassis Corvette's?Well I've heard better resonance from alotta Hondas turning 10k rpm!! Don't be so judgemental, different strokes,etc... Just like the ongoing battle between the Yuppi Harley crowd and the Sportbike guys.... Can't we all just get along?

WE all get along thats why we are all on here! AND all ride skis!!!!

+1
    EVO, I understand and hear you completely. Here in Texas we have all breeds and all walks of life. I just get sick of seeing punks driving a beat up, half painted, 1995 Honda Civic with a coffee can exhaust, thinking they are the chit. These type always have their hats cocked to the side with the hellified gangsta lean. The nice ricer cars are few and far between in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information