Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad luck after the 10 hour service?

This past week I took my 05' rxp in for the 10 hour service, and of coarse it was $100 . I rode my ski saturday with no problems and everything worked great. Sunday I took my ski out and I rode for about 5 minutes when the oil-warning system started cutting the jetski down to low rpms. I was like wtf. I tried to get back to my house, but the ski would not get on top of the water, so I idled over to the shore and looked inside........HOLY SHIT...there was oil everywhere. The filler cap had somehow come off. So I got a tow back in and got it to the dealership back home. They changed the oil and everything again (for free, because I was pissed) for the second time. My dealer hooked the computer up to his machine and he said everything checked out okay. So eveyone check you oil filler caps after the service because they just might not have it on tight. . I guess I got lucky not blowing the engine, but we will see when I take it out this weekend. I figured I would take an oil sample and put it under the microscope after I ride this weekend and check for metal. About how much should I see when I check it? Hope it still runs good !

+1
    you got a warranty that will cover it . Must of had the off the street yohoos working on your ski .

+1
    I almost think you got what you paid for (not your fault). $100 is very cheap for a 10 hour service. My dealer charges 2 hours labor and parts. About $250, which is why I do my own oil now, i suggest you do too. There's a lot of people here that can help you.

No need for a microscope, just yank out the filter and look in the pleates. You'll see some stuff, i doubt you'll see anything serious.

I also would find a new dealer.

+1
    I bet the oil cap wasn't on at all!

Changing your own oil is easy and you are sure to do it right!

where is the best place to buy the oil filters and the oil pump to pump out the oil?

+1
    I get mine from ppg.

Link? Thanks miketrin ...

What Else???

Is there anything they do during the 10 hour service, other than the oil change, that is crucial.

I am going to be brave and attempt to change my oil myself on Wednesday and was wondering if there is anything else I should do while I am at it.

Re: What Else???

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDoo
    Is there anything they do during the 10 hour service, other than the oil change, that is crucial.

I am going to be brave and attempt to change my oil myself on Wednesday and was wondering if there is anything else I should do while I am at it.
    No shit, I JUST took in my ski for it's 10 hour first service. Price was around $150 dollars. No thank you, I'll change my own oil from now on.. You can get me once, but not twice.... That's about $100 more than my car..!

G

Ok, I don't have the 10 hour service checklist in front of me, but it is fairly long. Oil change is only one portion of it. If they do the 10 hour service correctly and don't skip or shortcut anything, it should take close to the full 2 hours for the "average" tech to complete. 2 hrs labor is a normal and fair charge for the service.

It's not just an oil change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information