Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MSX 140 - Should I buy it for 7K?

Need some expert advice. First of all, I know nothing about personal watercrafts what so ever. But I want to buy my wife one for her 40th birthday. I'm looking at a 2004 Polaris MSX 140 High Output. The owner added some kind of water compulsion kit that gives it more power and said the add on was around $500. He also said it will do 75 mph. The price of 7K (this was his original offer) includes a nice trailer and cover that allows you to pull the craft covered. Owner says he only has about 20 hours on it and will personally warrenty it for 30 days. (He is a polaris tech)

I'm looking for any Pro's or Con's you can give me. The NADA listed the craft at 6200 retail.

I'm also considering a new 2005 RXT for 10K. Just a little affraid of the power (for her) and the premium gas! What do you all think.

Thanks,

X-Cane

+1
    I have had a 140. It doesn't do near 70 without a triple pipe kit. The seller is either lying or braindead.
    It is a great looking watercraft with a very questionable motor.
    My 04 has had the motor replaced once already.
    For reliability the SeaDoo is the way to go. If the power is too much try a GTI SE. It is a better value than the MSX as well.

+1
    It would be a good deal for 6,200. 7K seems a little high. It will do nowhere near 75. Maybe around 60 true speed. If you have a good ex polaris dealer near you you may be ok with service and support. I would shy away because they are no longer in production. The price diference is quite considerable compared to the new scic's for sure!

Ed

huber heights ohio soon near New Port Richie Florida
    to be honest people are having a hard time getting rid of polaris's because they dont make them anymore offer him $6,000 and no more

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    true that.... find yourself something still in production definitely don't pay 7,000 for it

+1
    Polaris 7K? A fool and his money soon shall part.

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    It's a great ski...It seems the reliability was a hit or miss thing...Some broke early and often while others have run for hundreds of hours no problems...

Very comfy, very frugal on gas, great looking ski, etc...

Also pretty slow (59-60 tops in stock form and the only way to really start modding one is to replace the injection with a carb rack...$$$), plus their not in production anymore and due to Polaris corporate BS very few dealers will even touch them anymore, plus there will be no market to re-sell it later...

I'd offer $4,500 tops...They were going for less then $6k brand new when dealers were trying to move them off the lots once polaris folded the watercraft tents...

I'd look else where....My friend has one and i dont like it much compared to RXP

I`d pass it up, unless you got it dirt cheep. Parts are going to be difficult to get if not already. I would def consider something that is still in production, as mentioned earlier...good luck...PR...

Thanks for your replys.

I really apprecieat your feedback. I'm a member of the VTX board (I own a honda vtx 1800) and this board is very helpful as well. Well, now I've got to decide between the new 2005 RXT for 10K (looks like that price is too high from other posts) or buy something with less HP. Price is not a huge concern, I just like to get "good deals". So now the thing I'm concerned about is 215 just too much HP for wife and kids? I know you can use the key to limit speed, but I'm not sure about the "get away from you factor" if my wife was driving without the speed limit key???

Thanks again for your help!

X-Cane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information