Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    MSX-150 Rest in Peace

    Brought my MSX 150 back for service at the end of the season. She would accelerate up normally, but then bog down to about 4000 RPM. A few seconds later, the check engine light would begin to flash. Took her back to the dealer as she was due for a new waste gate anyway. The waste gate did not operate as freely as it should have and the new one finally shipped from polaris.

    Spoke to the dealer after they changed the waste gate. Apparently, the engine blew up during the test ride. They pulled the engine and found one piston burned and the cylinder wall plating flaking off. The other cylinder wall's plating was also bubbling. He showed me two other webers on the bench with the same plating problems.

    I can get a new short block on the extended warranty, but after that, those fine folks at polaris will terminate the warranty. I found a local place that will replate the cylinder bore for $170/cylinder. Both the dealer and the plating shop agree that it probably wasn't plated correctly by weber to begin with. Seeing two other engines with the same problem lends credibility to that idea.

    This unit has been nothing but trouble. My wife has been saying from the beginning to get rid of this machine. She has only about 35 hours on her. I'm not abusive to my machines. I ran my old Lincoln to over 200K miles without any work to the engine or trans. The dealer took her in on trade and sold her that week to a limo company. My Navi has over quarter million miles. My 1999 Sea Ray looks new inside, outside and in the engine room. We never had a problem with her. My old 1996 Kawasaki Jet Ski only gave me one problem, the fuel gauge panel cracked and allowed water into it, which caused a very minor electrical problem.

    Anyone else had problems with cylinder bore plating? Right now, I think my best bet is to dump the MSX and put the money into a new Sea Doo RXT or RXT-T.

    Best regards,
    Frank


  2. #2
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,563
    +1
    169
    i will make you a hell of a deal on an 07 250x with trailer and warranty till 2012

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,573
    +1
    1,272

    Arrow MSC150 - Weber cylinder failures?

    Quote Originally Posted by FC3 View Post
    ...found one piston burned and the cylinder wall plating flaking off. The other cylinder wall's plating was also bubbling. He showed me two other webers on the bench with the same plating problems....Both the dealer and the plating shop agree that it probably wasn't plated correctly by weber to begin with. Seeing two other engines with the same problem lends credibility to that idea.
    This unit has been nothing but trouble...
    Anyone else had problems with cylinder bore plating? ...
    Was this a 2004 model year MSX150?

    Lets see if other GreenHulk Polaris 4-stroke owners have seen problems like this.

    I wonder if the Polaris snowmobile folks have any information regarding their Weber powered sleds...

  4. #4
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826
    I have never heard of this issue...and I have read, probably, every forum on the MSX 150 on the internet....

    I am puzzled about the waste gate being replaced by the dealer. If you go to the parts manual for your ski, the waste gate door isn't shown as a seperate part, and is only offered as part of the complete turbo unit. Were you getting an entire turbo replaced?

    If you decide to 'part' out your 150...be sure to let this forum know!

  5. #5
    ph2ocraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Campbell, Ca.
    Posts
    14,100
    +1
    105
    Frank, sorry to hear about the luck with your 150.
    Two excellent guys to talk to in regards to the flaking of cylinders would be Jay at Atlantic Powersports (on vaction this week) and Randy at Watcon who now has a very good tie in with Weber.

  6. #6

    Expounding and clarifying

    Hi Guys

    Thanks for the offer on the 250x, but...

    The machine is a 2004 that I bought new with a couple of hours on her that were put on her by the dealer.

    The actual parts that were replaced were the turbo and exhaust manifold. The turbo was performing nominally, but the wastegate was hanging up, so I just reported the problem here as a wastegate problem. But Rocky Road is correct.

    Thank you also, ph2ocraft, for your suggestion. But I'm on a first-name basis with Jay. I bought my watercraft from Atlantic and they have been doing all of my service work, with the exception of two oil changes that I did myself. (I have the factory service manual and am competent with a wrench.) Jay really does know these machines and he is a straight, stand-up guy. I tend to think that his recommendations are on the money. Jay has suggested that my most sensible route might be to total this PWC and get a new SeaDoo from him. We'll see. It kind of makes sense, but it seems like a "waste" of a machine that's only 3 years old. Of course, someone on a Sea Ray forum pointed out last week that "sensible" and "boat" don't belong in the same sentence.

    Kind of curious about the cylinder plating issue, since Jay had a couple of engines apart that all had the same problem. Just wondering how many others have seen this. It seems that it takes a bit of use for this problem to show itself.

    Best regards,
    Frank

  7. #7
    Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by FC3 View Post
    Hi Guys

    Thanks for the offer on the 250x, but...

    The machine is a 2004 that I bought new with a couple of hours on her that were put on her by the dealer.

    The actual parts that were replaced were the turbo and exhaust manifold. The turbo was performing nominally, but the wastegate was hanging up, so I just reported the problem here as a wastegate problem. But Rocky Road is correct.

    Thank you also, ph2ocraft, for your suggestion. But I'm on a first-name basis with Jay. I bought my watercraft from Atlantic and they have been doing all of my service work, with the exception of two oil changes that I did myself. (I have the factory service manual and am competent with a wrench.) Jay really does know these machines and he is a straight, stand-up guy. I tend to think that his recommendations are on the money. Jay has suggested that my most sensible route might be to total this PWC and get a new SeaDoo from him. We'll see. It kind of makes sense, but it seems like a "waste" of a machine that's only 3 years old. Of course, someone on a Sea Ray forum pointed out last week that "sensible" and "boat" don't belong in the same sentence.

    Kind of curious about the cylinder plating issue, since Jay had a couple of engines apart that all had the same problem. Just wondering how many others have seen this. It seems that it takes a bit of use for this problem to show itself.

    Best regards,
    Frank
    I have been pondering about your problem, and had come up with a possible scenerio...but your mention of knowing Jay, blew it all to hell!

    This scenerio had the dealer unaware that the MSX 150 HAS to have high test gas...my dealer didn't even know this. I could see the ski getting a hard, WOT test run (only way to test the turbo), on the cheapest gas the dealer could find, and major detonation taking out your cylinder, and plating. Oh, well...it sounded good!

    Keep us up to date....

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Road View Post
    I have been pondering about your problem, and had come up with a possible scenerio...but your mention of knowing Jay, blew it all to hell!

    This scenerio had the dealer unaware that the MSX 150 HAS to have high test gas...my dealer didn't even know this. I could see the ski getting a hard, WOT test run (only way to test the turbo), on the cheapest gas the dealer could find, and major detonation taking out your cylinder, and plating. Oh, well...it sounded good!

    Keep us up to date....
    Thanks for the help!

    Oh I know all about the premium gas issue. I buy premium gas for the machine at one of three places. Two are on the road and the same place I buy gas for my Navigator, my wife's new Vanden Plas and other toys, some of which require premium and some that don't. Since the vehicles that like premium never had a problem with the fuel from those stations, I assume it's OK. The third place is on-the-water and the same place that a friend who has a pair custom 800 HP Innovation Marine V8s in his boat buys gas. Since his Innovations haven't blown up, I assume that the premium gas from that marina is OK, too.

    I filled the tank of the PWC the day of my final ride, so when I brought it to Jay, it had a full tank of 93 octane. Yes, Jay asked if I ran premium in the ski. He said it looked like detonation damage.

    Best regards,
    Frank

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MSX 150 Stuck in Limp Mode
    By apdrt in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 11:10 AM
  2. polaris msx 150 oil in water system!!
    By simmy in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
  3. 6 Years... Rest In Peace Dimebag Darrel
    By Inkaddict in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM
  4. MSX 150 Water in oil and oil in the intake??
    By brad3384 in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
  5. MSX 150 coolant in oil
    By freelancenovelist in forum MSX/Matrix
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •