Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

need HELP from the PROs

A few months ago I got Major water intrusion, and the water took out my #3 cylinder, and the crank bearings. Sent the cylinder off to be repaired and got the crank rebuilt from crank works.

Put the motor back together, and noticed that the crank didn't spin as smooth as I thought it should, but thought that might be due to the yamabond.

got the ski back together and she fired right up, and the first 20 minutes of breakin went great.

on the second 20 minutes of break in I brought the ski up to about 5000RPMs and she shut off. I didn't start it back up, and had someone tow me in. (thanks Jessie)

put the ski on the trailer and it would start right up, but when I would turn it off it seamed to turn off "hard"

took the ski to my buddy at the yamaha dealership, and he did a compression check, now here is the wierd part:

compression #1 and #2 was 150, and the motor sounded normal
    compression #3 was 147 (close enough) but the motor would have a hard time turning over and it would "CLUNK", but only on #3.

took the motor down, and the #3 piston has some very minor scuffs on the exhaust skirt, but other than that looked fine.

pulled all 3 cylinders, and now the crank spins VERY freely, but I decided to pull the crank anyway but did not find anything wrong with it.

when I had the crank rebuilt they replaced all the bearings, but only replaced the #3 rod, with a hot rod.

I don't have a clue of what is wrong..

BTW, #3 was a lot hotter to the touch than #'s 1 and 2.

James

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Are you talking about your 1390 James, Were is your efi settings if it is your 1390 you should have your efi settings at 9-11-11-7 check to see if there is piston wash sounds like a lean seizure. I would also have that injector check out make sure it is not clogged i have the machine to check them, Give me a ring if you have any questions.

+1
    About your crank it should spin free after a rebuild, I had one tight one time and what it was was the pin in the front case came out of the hole in the bearing and was not lined up right. Took the cases apart found the problem lined the pin back in the hole in the bearing put it back together and it was fine.
    Last edited by JIM'S PERFORMANCE; 11-23-2007 at 05:32 PM.

+1
    james thinks it's a lean seizure too. never thought about the injectors. he'll probably be calling you soon. when we put the crank in the first time with out the pistion attatched it was kinda hard to spin. when we took it apart last night and took the pistons off it spun freely.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Altezza01 View Post
    james thinks it's a lean seizure too. never thought about the injectors. he'll probably be calling you soon. when we put the crank in the first time with out the pistion attatched it was kinda hard to spin. when we took it apart last night and took the pistons off it spun freely.
    The crank should turn free after installing, Look at the case and see if the pin is pushed in flush with the case that is a sign it was not lined up if the pin is flush with case and not sticking out alittle.

Jim I wasn't running my low setting that high, maybe 7ish. I might give you a call later.

James

+1
    Did you pressure test upon reassembly?

Crank should spin freely with the exception of the magnetic pull from the stator.

+1
    here are some pics of what james piston looks like. does anyone know what cause this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 108.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	46214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 109.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	46215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 111.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	46216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 112.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	46217  

well i have my .02 on the prob me & james already discussed it I'd say start with 80 grit finish it off with sum 400 clean out the ring lands {if that what its called} stick it back together DOUBLE OIL & A SPLASH OF 110 OCTANE until she breaks in good jack those settings wfo see what happens well dat wut dis oh redneck would be a doin

+1
    On my 1390 I ran it really rich for breakin, and kept an eye on the tach. Black plugs and no wash. The crank spun freely in all instances. I feel for you man. I hope you get her going good and strong. Its no damn fun to chase gremlins at $500 a pop. I went through that in 1999 off some bad jetting advice for my GP1200. After the third seizure Pistonwash gave me some guidance on the jetting. Never had a problem after that. The aftermarket shop told me there was no need to change jetting with flame arrestors a primer kit and a 150 psi head. Live and learn. Start rich and tune with a tach.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information