SC washer history?

Didn't the 03 models have metal washers?
    If so, what was wrong with them that made Seadoo go to the ceramics? IOW what was supposed to be better about the ceramics? Now everybody is replacing the ceramics with metal but Seadoo is STILL sticking with ceramics. What does Seadoo not like about the metal washers?
    Is it that the metal washers wear more than the ceramics thus putting more metallic dust/debris through the engine? Is it that the metal washers may get scored as they rub against each other and seize up, breaking the SC gears?
    I've talked to a Seadoo mechanic a few times over the last year and every time he says Seadoo is working on the problem but there is no fix yet and they are still having problems even with the latest stuff. He doesn't have time to elaborate on the subject as he's busy rebuilding engines.

+1
    03's didn't use any type of washer at all. The gear just rode on metal surfaces.

All the 08 model supercharged skis will come with metal washers.

There are many other wear areas in an internal combustion engine to worry about other than the microscopic particles that will wear off of the gear and clutch washers.

yes my 03 gtx-sc has metal washers or maybe none depending on who ya talk to. it is still runnin stong at almost 200 hrs. does about 60mph depending on conditions. i think the 08's will have metal washers.

Thanks for the replies so far. Still curious about what Seadoo was trying to gain by going to and sticking with ceramics for all these years. What was wrong with metal that made them not like it? The ceramics cost more than metal so cost wasn't it right? IOW how might a metal washer fail that could be fixed by switching to ceramic?

I'm just curious to find out how the SC disaster came about and if it might finally be resolved with the 08 models.

+1
    ceramic can take heat better than metal can and in theory the ceramic washers should have made better clutch washers. Unfortunately, they are too brittle and could shatter causing the supercharger to fail and would then destroy the oil pumps from the ceramic debris.

Metal washers will resolve the problem. We have been using them in the aftermarket for nearly 2 years now.

confused??

Sorry to divert the thread topic, I have an 03 SC that has suddenly dropped power / max revs @ 6500, current hours are 130. I took off the SC inlet pipe to discover that I chould turn the impeller freely with my finger. I had assumed the worst and that I would have to find ceramic washers somewhere in the bottom end. After reading this thread and another look at the shop manual, it apears that the 03 chutch uses metal washers squished back to back. If I can get the damn SC unit out I can confirm the washer / no washer question and post a pic. I have removed all three bolts (checked that they are the correct ones) however the unit refuses to budge. I am reluctant to lever it / hit it with a hammer. Currently there is penetrating lube soaking in. Any hints on removing the unit would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from Down Under, Stabs

P.s. I used a 5/16 ring spanner to remove the top SC torx screw and it worked a treat.

+1
    Wak it with rubber hammer

its off, thanks to a gentle wak after the lube had worked its way in, thanks for the tip. There are no ceramic washers present on my 03 SC, All parts are accounted for as per the shop manual. I am very happy not to have to chase broken ceramic discs throughout the engine.

Perhaps the cermaic washers were included in 04 SC onwards were incorporated to reduce the metal to metal wear that will occur in the 03 SC. Ceramics disipate heat better than most metals. An example of this is brakes (aircraft, performance bikes / cars). In most applications ceramics prove a cost effective solution where massive wear would occur due to heat in the same component made of metal. Ceramics are by nature brittle and it seems that in this case they have not gotten it right.

On a side note should I replace the oil seals in the super charger body? I noticed a small amount of oil in the SC outlet hose, however I have not noticed any loss of oil from the sump in the last 30 operating hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc 002.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	46044  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stabs View Post
    On a side note should I replace the oil seals in the super charger body? I noticed a small amount of oil in the SC outlet hose, however I have not noticed any loss of oil from the sump in the last 30 operating hours.
    You will get a new seal with the rebuild kit of which you will need to fix your supercharger.
    This is the kit you need:

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=340

And since the OEM rebuild kit comes with ceramic washers you will need the metal ones to replace them.
    These are the metal washers that work with the rebuild kit (06 spec)
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=381

Thread Information