Page 1 of 87 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1

SL 780 triple pipe project....

Let the project begin!
    Here are my skis.A purple 97 SL780, and a red 95 SL650STD. Both skis currently run great. The 780 is the project boat. The hull, rubrails and decals are showroom brand new looking. Not a blemish on it except the scuffs where it rides on the bunks of the trailer. Never ever has been beached.
    The 650 needs some cosmetic help. I have a friend who is a paint and body man. After the 780 is finished, I plan on having the 650 painted. I think I'm going to go w/ a faux carbon fiber look. The only thing I'm going to do w/ the 650 is add a pro cdi and an appearance upgrade untill something goes wrong mechanically. Then I'll upgrade it to a 750, or 780 if I lose a cylinder or something.
    The 780 is getting triple pipes, 44mm carbs and intake, pro785 cdi, and fuel tank (to make room for the pipes). I'm still on the lookout for pro reed cages. I have a 2-stroke mechanic friend coming over on monday. He has experience at porting cylinders and has the equipment to shave heads and cylinders for higher compression. Most of his experience is on dirt bikes, and is a fantastic auto mechanic. He is gunna look at the boat and check the squish. And advise me on what to do to push the hp even higher than the planned upgrades. I don't mind running a 91/ 100 octane mix for more performance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2037.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	45907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2038.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	45908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2041.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	45909  

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Nice at least your filler neck is in the right location. You better add a sponsons kit to your list. You'll need them with all the extra power.

+1
    Well, lets slow things down for a few. I need to make dollys for the skis 1st. Need to get them off the trailer to make them easier to work on and make room for my boat. The boat will soon need to be pulled from the lake and winterized. I will store it in the garage too, but will have plenty of room to work on the skis. I've been working on the dollys today.
    I also added a pic of my helper. His name is Spike. He loves the lake activities as much as I do.
    I have been tacking the metal together w/ a torch. I will take the dolly to the shop tomorrow to finish welding it together. I'll be using casters from Harbor Frieght.
    Time to go back to the garage and work on the dolly some more. Later guys.

Name:	HPIM2039.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	45910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2043.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	45911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2044.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	45912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2045.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	45913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2046.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	45914  

I can't wait!!!!!!! For a some ideas on the porting look at the General project. The cyclinders I used (wich there are several Pics) were the ones that were used for Troy Swift's racing ski. Lots of big porting, raised sleave skirts, and o-ringed heads!!!!! Just to give him (you) what it should look like with the porting. As far as raising the compression you can remove one of the head gaskets. As you probley already know the head gaskets are two gaskets sandwiched together. If you remove on of the layers you will pick up around 11 PSI. I did that on my 780 SLT about a year ago and have had no proplems out of it. It also added a little more grunt to it.

R

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    Let the project begin!
    Here are my skis.A purple 97 SL780, and a red 95 SL650STD. Both skis currently run great. The 780 is the project boat. The hull, rubrails and decals are showroom brand new looking. Not a blemish on it except the scuffs where it rides on the bunks of the trailer. Never ever has been beached.
    The 650 needs some cosmetic help. I have a friend who is a paint and body man. After the 780 is finished, I plan on having the 650 painted. I think I'm going to go w/ a faux carbon fiber look. The only thing I'm going to do w/ the 650 is add a pro cdi and an appearance upgrade untill something goes wrong mechanically. Then I'll upgrade it to a 750, or 780 if I lose a cylinder or something.
    The 780 is getting triple pipes, 44mm carbs and intake, pro785 cdi, and fuel tank (to make room for the pipes). I'm still on the lookout for pro reed cages. I have a 2-stroke mechanic friend coming over on monday. He has experience at porting cylinders and has the equipment to shave heads and cylinders for higher compression. Most of his experience is on dirt bikes, and is a fantastic auto mechanic. He is gunna look at the boat and check the squish. And advise me on what to do to push the hp even higher than the planned upgrades. I don't mind running a 91/ 100 octane mix for more performance.
    I think I have a set of 785 reed cages I will look when I get home. I am in VT at the lake house.. 26deg and snow fluries.

+1
    I think it's great how you've taken the project back to the start with the dolly's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    Nice You better add a sponsons kit to your list. You'll need them with all the extra power.
    You think she might be a bit slippery w/ the extra pwr? Sponsons were on the list. Thanks for mentioning at this point. I think it will be easier to install them w/o the pipes in the way. Infact, it would be damn near impossible to install them after the fact. Thanks again!
    Thanks for looking BD. I will certainly need them.

"I think it's great how you've taken the project back to the start with the dolly's. "

Putting the carts before the horse pwr is a must, and I too think its cool to add them to this posting, before the real work is done.

Thanks Rodneyae! We will certainly peek @ your pics to port my cylinders.
    I'm super excited about this project, and certainly wouldn't have had the imagination to do all of this w/o this web site.
    Thanks to all who make Green Hulk what it is!!!
    I didn't get much more done tonight, but here are the pics of what I did get done.....

Name:	HPIM2047.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	45938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2048.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	45939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM2049.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	45940  

+1
    I will get the welding done tomorrow, and will p/u the steel to get the other dolly done as well.
    BTW... the dolly measures 42"Wx60"L on the base. The risers are 12" tall and will have 4"x3/4" wheels. 2 castors will be stationary, and 2 will swivel w/ locks. The steel is 2"x3"x 42" and 2"x2"x54". the risers are 2"x3"x12"(to the short point)at a 15* miter.
    Last edited by starflight; 11-24-2007 at 12:53 AM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Sponsons can be added without a problem, they are installed from the exterior only. Using rivetnuts and the tool to install them.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1

add sponsons

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...light=sponsons

I think Beer might have a part number for the inserts you need. I thought I saw it posted somewhere, but where

Page 1 of 87 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information