Thread: Ceramic Washers

Ceramic Washers

TO ANYBODY VIEWING THIS:

OK folks, first off I want to apologize to ANYBODY that may have been offended by ANY comments I have made here. I got caught up in a pissing contest thread with a member that became personal. I fed into it and it got carried away.

A Moderator stepped in while I was typing in this 'pissing match' thread and deleted a bunch of the name calling, I thank you (whoever did it) for this and I voluntarly deleted my last post which was definitely across the line.

With the exception of Hoss (who I know understands me), and people I know personally (and can picture me saying what they're reading), I think I have only really gotton into a name calling match with one person, and to you, I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS.

now, with that said:

If you are still reading this and you own a Supercharged 4-TEC and still have the OEM SeaDoo supercharger washers in your ski, REPLACE THEM NOW !!!

If you are offered to ride someone else's Supercharged 4-TEC and the ski still has the OEM SeaDoo ceramic supercharger washers DON'T RIDE IT !!!

I cannot empahasize enough the importance of getting those ticking time-bombs out of that ski.

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT MODIFYING ANYTHING IN A STOCK 4-TEC SUPERCHARGED SKI BEFORE CHANGING THOSE WASHERS !!!

ok, I'm done on this topic

Good Luck
    JP

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    JP, I want to apoligize to you also.............................................. ...................

For knocking over your beer can pyramid at MB when you and Danny went for that moonlight stroll in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk
    The very first thing you should do to your supercharged watercraft is switch the stock ceramic supercharger clutch washers for the special metal washers that are now on the market. A failure of a ceramic clutch washer can cause many problems and will destroy your oil pumps. If the oil pumps are not checked/replaced after a ceramic washer failure you run high risk of serious engine damage in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    About Superchargers: Inherent Flaws and Preventing Failure with Metal Washers

From 2004 to the present day, every single supercharged Seadoo watercraft comes from the factory with a wet clutch design consisting of ceramic washers and steel ball bearings. For years now, we have seen time and time again these components weaken and cause catastrophic failure to our motors that would otherwise have been extremely reliable. While Seadoo has yet to change the design sadly, and while we continue to complain about its design, there are a few things you can do to ensure that your precious ride time in the summer is preserved.

If your machine is under warranty, of course the failure is covered, BUT… it’s a very precise process and it’s been many peoples’ experience that dealers are not properly repairing the machines. In addition, sometimes parts are on back order and you can be looking at weeks and months of downtime while your machine is repaired. You make the choice, is it worth waiting for it to blow up so you can HOPE it gets fixed properly and quickly?

SYMPTOMS OF A FAILING OR FAILED SUPERCHARGER
    Your machine lost top speed and acceleration
    Your machine is sluggish and only reaches about 45 mph and 6500-7000 rpms
    In rough water, you feel the machine surging and lunging like power is engaging and disengaging
    At WOT (Wide Open Throttle) your RPMs don’t hold steady, they tend to drop a few hundred rpms from what they are normally.

WHAT HAPPENS IF/WHEN YOUR SC FAILS
    Your supercharger can be slipping slip causing a drop in boost pressure and performance… This is the best case scenario as you caught it before it released the clutch pieces into the engine.

You supercharger can let go whether it be a bearing failure or a ceramic washer failure. In this case, the parts list ALONE can be close to $2000 dollars. When these components fail, the ceramic pieces go through the motor and destroy your oil pumps, covers, you need a new rebuild kit, and in some cases your SC impeller gets destroyed as well as the housing. In addition, the motor needs to be removed to find all the pieces and properly clean out the oil passages and screens.

If your motor is not properly repaired or cleaned out, you will slowly starve the motor’s internals of oil and risk throwing a rod through the side of your engine which is a disastrous repair bill.

WHAT YEARS AND MODELS of Skis FALL IN THIS CATEGORY
    2003 GTX SC – Only prone to supercharger slippage (ceramics not present in this design)
    2004 RXP / GTX SC
    2005 RXP / RXT / GTX SC / GTX Limited
    2006 RXP / RXT / GTX SC / GTX Limited
    2007 RXP / RXT / 215 Wake / GTX Limited

All of the above models, REGARDLESS of your level of modifications (stock or highly modified) will benefit from these upgrades… Also, regardless of the current state of your warranty, this is all still recommended. The decision is up to you, is the cost of upgrades worth saving your ride time in the season and preventing failure.

HOW TO PREVENT FAILURE & ENSURE YOU PRESERVE YOUR SUMMER RIDE TIME

****** I ALWAYS ALWAYS recommend having an extended warranty on your machine. Check with your local dealer and see how they feel about aftermarket modifications and their effect on your warranty. Certain components do not jeopardize reliability and should be no problem. In fact, many of the parts and modifications we perform are in an effort to solve the inherent problems of the 185 and 215 horsepower powerplants.

METAL SUPERCHARGER WASHERS! It does not matter if you have a used machine with 5 hours or 250 hours or a brand new machine with zero hours just home from the dealer. They are ALL susceptible to failure with ceramic washers. There are slightly different metal washers depending on the year of your machine. If you have a low hour 2004-2005 machine you can add these:

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18_63&produ cts_id=448

However, in 2006 Seadoo introduced a slightly more heavy duty supercharger assembly, but still with the same concept and flaws. Therefore, if you have a high hour 2004-2005 machine, it is recommended to rebuild the whole supercharger with new components that are not worn so you have new bearings as well.

***NOTE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KITS depending on your motor***

215HP Rebuild kit
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...duc ts_id=339

185HP Rebuild kit
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...duc ts_id=340

If you have a 2006+ machine, you already have the most up-to-date supercharger assembly. In which case, all you need is to swap in the metal washers for your stock ceramic ones:
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...du cts_id=381

CERAMIC BEARINGS! This is the latest attempt to bulletproof our superchargers. After you have metal washers in your ski, it’s a gamble with your steel ball bearings. If the bearings fail you can still suffer a series of events that leave you with a heft repair bill.

Replace the inefficient steel ball bearings in your supercharger with cooler running, longer lasting ceramic bearings. This set contains both bearings needed to upgrade your supercharger.
    Ceramic ball bearings are 60% lighter in weight and are rounder than steel balls resulting in 40% less friction and heat. Ceramic balls have an improved surface finish compared to steel balls and because of these differences ceramic bearings run cooler and have a lower amount of thermal expansion.
    Steel ball bearings are not perfectly round and actually have tolerance variations between 50 and 60 millionths of an inch, where a ceramic ball will only have 10 millionths variation so they run truer in the race.
    All of these benefits enable ceramic bearings to out live steel bearings 5 to 1. In identical running conditions, the ceramic balls show less than 10% of the wear of steel balls.
    The ceramic bearings will hold a tighter tolerance longer than that of steel bearings resulting in less runout and walking of the shaft which results in inefficiency and damage to the supercharger.
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...duc ts_id=452

Various ALTERNATIVES
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...du cts_id=549

FURTHER READING & INFORMATION / TESTIMONIALS / ETC

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19828
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2238

I'll be sure to edit this thread and try and keep it as up to date as possible. These are the basics that I was able to put together off the top of my head. I think it would be helpful to forum members and newbies that we put all the supercharger metal washer and bearing information here so we can continue building up info to cover all the aspects of this component of the 4-tec power plant.

So if you have a particular questions about how this applies to your application, or any other related questions, feel free to post right here in this thread!

New Information coming next season for 2008 Supercharged 4-tec Models.

Scary how many are out there, and there are probably more than this on the forum...

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showpost...07&postcount=1

PLEASE PEOPLE SAVE YOURSELF THE STRESS, GRIEF, MONEY, AND LOSS OF RIDE TIME BY REPLACING YOUR CERAMIC WASHERS WITH THE METAL ONES FOUND IN THE ONLINE STORE!!!

IF YOU WANT QUALITY INSTALLATION OF THESE WASHERS AND DO NOT WANT TO DO THE WORK YOURSELF CONTACT JERRY (GREEN HULK)
    HERE http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...71&postcount=1

+1

Talking

huh? me?

Quote Originally Posted by HOSS View Post
    huh? me?
    ski-selling-Beotch
    Last edited by JP; 11-30-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Thread Information