EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

4-tec Crankshafts - ALL identical?

I'm hoping I can find the answer here from someone in the know... I've been trying to find the answer for a few days now with little success, but as a last resort I'll call Seadoo tech during the week.

Does anyone know if every 4-tec crank is the same? Part numbers dont indicate they are all identical, but i can't fathom what the difference could be really

Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

STEVE
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    I'm hoping I can find the answer here from someone in the know... I've been trying to find the answer for a few days now with little success, but as a last resort I'll call Seadoo tech during the week.

Does anyone know if every 4-tec crank is the same? Part numbers dont indicate they are all identical, but i can't fathom what the difference could be really

Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

STEVE
    [email protected]

Hey bud how you doing?

Yes they are different the 06 and newer they have changed the pin for the trigger cup.That is because they changed the location of the trigger to the outside of the motor.That is the only change in the crank.

+1
    thanks mitch... didn't even dawn upon me that i shoulda PMed you with this, but as soon as i saw you replied i knew u'd have the answer with ur experience on these things.

i THOUGHT i checked crank part # difference between 06 RXP and 06 GTI and i thought it was different tho... but maybe i checked it against 04 or 05. gotta double check right now...

+1
    yeaaaa, ur on the money Mitch.

i think that's exactly what i was doing is comparing 04 SCIC crank to 06+ NA cranks .... shoulda been comparing 06 SCIC to 06 NA and i woulda found my simple answer.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch411RXP View Post
    Yes they are different the 06 and newer they have changed the pin for the trigger cup.That is because they changed the location of the trigger to the outside of the motor.That is the only change in the crank.
    Is there any way to make an 04 crank work in an 06 engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    Is there any way to make an 04 crank work in an 06 engine?

You would have to change the rear housing so you can run the 04-05 crank trigger.The locator pin is in a different spot because on 06 and newer the crank trigger is now on the outside of the rear housing.

+1
    Yeah, last night I put the two cranks side by side and matched the counter balancer lines up. I noticed that the pin is in a different spot. Can you explain what that pin does? I sort of understand, but not completely.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Yeah, last night I put the two cranks side by side and matched the counter balancer lines up. I noticed that the pin is in a different spot. Can you explain what that pin does? I sort of understand, but not completely.
    I think it makes the spark plugs do their sparky trick at the correct time

He is right it is what sets the trigger cup timming for your spark.The trigger cup is the peice that has all the little teeth on it.The trigger in the 04-05 is inside the rear cover.They moved the trigger 06-07 to the outside in a different spot so they moved the locator pin to set the timming right.

+1
    Mitch, do you know if there is any difference between the 04 and 06 starter gear? They have different part numbers, but look the same.

Thread Information