Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thru the hull hole part II

Just a quick question regarding the 4 screw holes.

Just want to know if I should use the largest bit that fits thru the flange or just big enough to get the screw thru?

The template says max 5/16. seems smaler would b better for more fiberglass between the screw and tube but less room for error.

many recommended drilling the big hole first and then the 4 holes later.
    At first I disagreed with that. Now looking back I agree. Once you get the pilot hole started for the big hole I got rid of the template.
    After you drill the big hole and install the tip you will notice there is a little slop in the positioning. to ensure the tip is more centered than eyeballing it, I taped around the tube near the flange until it was a snug fit.
    This allowed the tip to be positioned and centered and ready for drilling.
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 11-24-2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: add

Go with the bit they recommend. If you go smaller yeah the screws will fit, but unless you drilled the holes all on the same and perfect angle thru the hull, you will have trouble getting the inside backing plate to mate up. It's hard to explain, but if you do it you will see what I mean. That was my experience. If you go with the bigger bit you can play with and adjust the screws to get the exhaust tip and inner backing to mate up correctly. And don't forget to silicone the matting surfaces of both for a good water tight seal.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    as long as it looks good when done, who cares what the hole looks like and whats behind tht tip, lol...

doesn't matter of all 4 bolt holes join with the exhaust hole or if you have to egg out a few holes... it all gets covered and siliconed anyway. all this precision work to drill a hole is nice and prudent but pretty unneccessary. just blast thru there drill some bolts shuv the bolts thru and make it happen. as long as ur close it works, there's alot of forgiveness with this install

+1
    I use the template to drill the big hole and then insert the tip and use it as the template to drill the 4 small bolt holes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I use the template to drill the big hole and then insert the tip and use it as the template to drill the 4 small bolt holes.
    I did the same, but I used a drill bit the same size as the holes in the outlet.

You know what I love about this place?

Learning the different ways we go about doing these mods.

I put the tip in, drilled very small pilot holes in the center then just decided to drill the holes the same size as the flange.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Yep same here!!

revert back to my thread and wet seal the flange, you`ll be fine...

I took the time to precision drill the Riva outlet, even used a 2 3/4 hole saw and drum sanded for final fittment, call me crazy, but it came out perfekt!...PR...

to seal it your best bet is to use marine silicone 5200. that is by far the best stuff to use, but once u use it and its cured it never can come off. you will have to cut the fiberglass if u need to. but why would you take it off.

Lifeline black silicone (found in Boaters world) or ultra black...PR...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information