What to look for? when buying used RXP.

I am looking into buying my first Sea-Doo RXP. I do have some knowledge of water craft having owned several Kawasaki stand ups and doing all motor work myself. But I am wondering if there e are some particular things to look for when buying used.

take off the seat, start it up, and listen for the supercharger whirring. if you don't hear it, then you have a blown supercharger and the washer pieces of the supercharger could have gone into the engine and caused catostrophic damage. or stick your finger into the supercharger housing and try to spin the supercharger wheel. if you can't spin it then your ok, if you can spin all the way around, then the sc is gone. unless the ski is under warranty, either don't buy the ski, or work something out with the owner because if the washer pieces did go in the engine, the repair cost is very high $$$$$$$$$$. if you wanna read about the failures, go here: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19887
    Last edited by MaxMike; 11-24-2007 at 11:10 PM.

ask them if they have had all their services done at a dealer. also check that all the stuff works like electrical and flush it

+1
    Not only do you listen to the supercharger you ASK HAS it had ceramic washer failures ie supercharger problems and ask if they have replaced the washers. GOOD SIGN if they have. Look on this site someone that lives close by is selling local ski. I bought a 2004 RXP two months ago with 5.6 hours. Updates had not even been done.

Compression test and water test... I think compression should be 110-130.. Should turn atleast 7900-8100....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by squartochi View Post
    I am looking into buying my first Sea-Doo RXP. I do have some knowledge of water craft having owned several Kawasaki stand ups and doing all motor work myself. But I am wondering if there e are some particular things to look for when buying used.
    welcome to the forum squartochi, i work on all my ski's, but be warned, make sure that the 4 tec you buy has never had supercharger washer problems, if it has then your engine is in a 30 hour distruction mode, honestly make sure it has never lost its caramic washers, cos people are selling these crafts, knowing they will go booooooom, after putting metal washers in, but from the previous ceramic failier they did'nt compleatly clean both oil screens, so i'll say again, welcom to the forum, and ps take some advice as we on here have been through it, and this site gives the best info to anyone, regards bill

Quote Originally Posted by squartochi View Post
    I don't even know where to begin but just an idea, if you can use the $$ that your about to buy a "used" RXP and used it as a downpayment on the comming '08 RXP-X and do the payment thing??. This might be a better road for you to take. Also, if you can work out a deal to get the extended warranty, it might help for peace of mind. Then again?????..........my 2 cents. Good luck. but if you still decide to buy a used one, my advise is to look for "Tell Tale Signs". a good example is to look at the nuts and bolts, if they have been disturbed. meaning they have wrenched on, i.e.,,,scratches on nuts and bolts, factory markings not alligned and all. You have a good question. Good luck. I would love to sell you mine, but I have molested and Raped mine so many times I am so in loved with it... and she never lets me down.....
    Last edited by Jammer 1; 11-24-2007 at 10:35 PM.

Thread Information