Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The answer from Kawi on GIO.

Well guys I just picked up my 250 from the dealer and asked what they did and what is the cause for the GIO PROBLEM . You my want to sit down for this, Kawi says that the reason for the GIO is because the ski is designed . So after picking up my jaw and being polite to the mechanic because he is just the messenger, but F-------K , if this POS is just for racing then why would you sell it to the general public for recrational use for families. I'm going to have to call Kawi and ask them if this is your stand on the the problem if so when can I have my money back for this POS, because I'm not going to be changing my oil every ten hours when it loads up with fuel. Never the less the problem with this blowing up and leaving me stranded in the ocean or river. I'm going to start e-mailing Kawi directly and start getting things in writing. I can't believe that this is there answer and this is coming from Kawi's two week school on the 250.

+1
    Did you want to say "it's they way it's designed"? Did he say why it's designed that way?

+1
    Hmnnn, I question the response from your tech.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    if the problem is fixed in the 08 models then wait until very late winter, put the ski in the water nose against the dock and strap it down. suck all the oil out and then add 1 quart of oil and the rest fuel. let it run against the dock WOT and then take it to the dealer after it goes boom then repaired with new 08 parts

LOL

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    This is why I wont buy a 250......

Why would it be designed that way? Is the engine supposed to automatically wash down the cylinder walls or something? WTF is Kawi thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyR-12X View Post
    ... Kawi says that the reason for the GIO is because the ski is designed (FOR RACING)...if this POS is just for racing then why would you sell it to the general public for recrational use for families... I can't believe that this is there answer and this is coming from Kawi's two week school on the 250.
    I added in brackets what I think you meant to say. I dont believe it either. I think this needs to go in the file marked crazy things some dealers tell customers.

The Ultra can obviously be used for all kinds of racing. But if you look at the design of the ski and Kawi's advertising, there is no way the ski is intended for a narrow racing niche only. The ski has twice the storage of any other ski. It has adjustable handlebars and a hook to tow boards and tubes. I think its clear Kawi was and is trying to take share of the high end performance PWC market from BRP. The bulk of this market consists of recreational riders not racers.

I dont think Kawi has publicly acknowledged to its dealers or to anyone else that there is a GIO problem caused by a design flaw. I'm reserving criticism though because, although Ive had the problem myself, I dont know the problem's actual statistical rate of frequency. I do know, however, that it has not occurred in all Ultras or (as near as I can tell) even a majority of Ultras.

Kawi's official line seems to be that some blowby occurs in many supercharged engines and that it usually only rises to the level of a problem if spark plugs are bad or breather pipe is blocked with silicone. At this point, Im planning to just install the crankcase ventilator kit to fix the problem whatever the cause or whatever blame may be cast.

One great thing about this GH forum is that it makes it much easier to get good information and to know when someone is peeing on your leg and telling you its just raining.
    Last edited by Blue 182; 11-25-2007 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Clarify

One other clarification. From the stories Ive read here on the forum, I know there are some unscrupulous dealers who will tell a customer anything to make a sale or to dodge a repair. I think that there is a much larger number of dealers, however, who truly dont know how to diagnose or fix a complex problem like GIO and they may not be getting clear, accurate info from Kawi Tech. I think that the collective expertise of our GH forum members may easily surpass that of many average dealers. One of the things I like about my dealer is that they are interested in whatever information or suggestions I can provide to supplement the Kawi Tech line.
    Last edited by Blue 182; 11-25-2007 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Typo

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    One other clarification. From the stories Ive read here on the forum, I know there are some unscrupulous dealers who will tell a customer anything to make a sale or to dodge a repair. I think that there is a much larger number of dealers, however, who truly dont know how to diagnose or fix a complex problem like GIO and they may not be getting clear, accurate info from Kawi Tech. I think that the collective expertise of our GH forum members may easily surpass that of many average dealers. One of the things I like about my dealer is that they are interested in whatever information or suggestions I can provide to supplement the Kawi Tech line.
    That's why I always say this place rocks! Just imagine, weeks or months from now when the whole thing is figured out and informed owners start showing up and telling the dealers what the cause is, all because the solution will be posted here as soon as the outside world knows. Kawi already knows, I bet all the cars and skis on it. Something will be different on the 08 (casting, etc.) or it will suffer GIO as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyR-12X View Post
    Well guys I just picked up my 250 from the dealer and asked what they did ...
    Forgot to ask BillyR, what if anything did dealer do? Just change plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by 9secZO6 View Post
    That's why I always say this place rocks! Just imagine, weeks or months from now when the whole thing is figured out and informed owners start showing up and telling the dealers what the cause is, all because the solution will be posted here as soon as the outside world knows...
    Would not be at all surprised if your scenario unfolds several times on various issues 9sec! I actually think that Skip may have already provided a good explanation a while back. This quest for the GIO causation holy grail may have dimmed in importance, however, with the release of the R&D crankcase vent kit which seems to fix the problem whatever the cause.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information