RXTScott

Mods for Beginners

Had my 150 scic for 4 months and want better overall performance. Awesome boat but I want better acceleration and holeshot. A little more topend wouldn't be bad either.

Here's what I thought:

First round:

1. - Metal Washers!!! Going to use the almighty Jerry on this one.
    2. - Solas SRX-CD-14/19R - Is this the right one?
    3. - Air intake. - Modify an RXT kit? Use a K&N with an elbow? ideas?
    - What do u do with the rectifier? Has anyone figured a way to cool it?
    4. - Fill in holes in Rideplate. - Does this really work? Worth doing?

Second round:
    1 - Green Wheel - Not sure what this requires? ECU? injectors?
    2 - External Intercooler

Not sure I need to go this far. We will see.

So far the boat has been fun as hell. I owned an RXT before this so I have some experience on these things but never tried modding one before. It ought to be fun!

Somefun - if you ever get bored and want to help me out let me know. Those are some impressive numbers. - Live in Danbury CT

VX1 - thoughts????

Try this Mode to start with

Quote Originally Posted by rxtscott View Post
    Had my 150 scic for 4 months and want better overall performance. Awesome boat but I want better acceleration and holeshot. A little more topend wouldn't be bad either.

Here's what I thought:

First round:

1. - Metal Washers!!! Going to use the almighty Jerry on this one.
    2. - Solas SRX-CD-14/19R - Is this the right one?
    - What do u do with the rectifier? Has anyone figured a way to cool it?
    4. - Fill in holes in Rideplate. - Does this really work? Worth doing?

Second round:
    1 - Green Wheel - Not sure what this requires? ECU? injectors?
    2 - External Intercooler
    With the Green Wheel you don't need ECU or injectors .. Stay with the stock one you have.

I Just got my Boat and i will Mode it to ... This is what im thinking to do for it.

1-
    "Green Charger" 10 psi Supercharger Impeller

This impeller will make 9+ PSI of boost at 8100 RPM's and 10+ PSI of boost at 8500...
    $450.00

2-

RIVA Ceramic Hybrid Supercharger Bearings For 4-Tec's (Set)

Replace the inefficient steel ball bearings in your supercharger with cooler running, longer lasting ceramic bearings. This set contains both...
    $149.95

3-
    RIVA Metal Clutch Washers for 06-07

These are direct replacements for the original ceramic clutch washers that are prone to fail on modified engines.Will not break up and damage engine...
    $109.95

4-
    Riva RXT/GTX Intake Grate

The Riva top-loader intake grate for the RXT/GTX features a unique tapered wing design that eliminates prop spin and cavitation while delivering...
    $129.95

Note: I might have to do some modfication to make it fit correctly

5-
    RIVA Stainless Steel Replacement Wear Ring for 215 HP Units

100% stainless steel wear rings/impeller liners are the perfect replacement for your damaged original unit. Replaces original plastic unit.
    $189.95

6-Breather, Catch Can Kit, SD RXP RXT GTX 4-TEC

Easy to install catch can/oil breather eliminates power-robbing crankcase fumes and oil vapor from your engine's air intake. Increases horsepower.
    $125.00

7-RIVA RXP/RXT/GTX Thermostat Kit

Riva's cool running Thermostat Kit reduces the operating temperature of your modified 4-TEC® engine by 30°F for maximum reliability and performance....
    $169.95

8-SRX-CD-14/17R (Pitch-blocked)

Solas Concord Impellers increase low-end thrust and top-end speed. Constructed of high strength stainless steel, Solas Impellers.
    $299.95

This is going to be my First Mode

Hello, my opinions in red:

Quote Originally Posted by rxtscott

Here's what I thought:

First round:

1. - Metal Washers!!! Going to use the almighty Jerry on this one. Good call...might as well do the Green wheel at the same time, that's what I did.

2. - Solas SRX-CD-14/19R - Is this the right one?A little tall for where you're at now, but will be good with the Green wheel. Then you can add 1.5mm pitch when you get the ext. IC. I started with a 13/18, which was perfect for just stock+4" intake, but grew out of it really quick, so don't waste your time with your mod plans. With the Green wheel, intake, and the 14/19, you'll have acceleration that pins you to your seat, and you'll gain at least 1mph on the top end.

- What do u do with the rectifier? Has anyone figured a way to cool it?Do the intake yourself (not a kit). Follow this thread, especially at post #9:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21589

Feel free to PM me if you need any help. I've tried several different designs, and have found that the cheapest seems to be one of the better ones. My current intake is much more expensive and complicated, but not much better. Many have had success in moving the rectifier near the battery, but I prefer to use the stock intake as part of my custom intake design, so the rectifier stays cool and doesn't need to be moved. Also keeps your oil blow-by valve working as it should.

4. - Fill in holes in Rideplate. - Does this really work? Worth doing?It has been said to give UP TO 1mph, but that's in a ski. I don't feel it did a thing for me. I suspect the gains in a boat are much less because of there's more hull at work creating drag.

Second round:
    1 - Green Wheel - Not sure what this requires? ECU? injectors?Green wheel with stock injectors work great!

2 - External IntercoolerThese XS Power ICs are an incredible bang for your buck, I highly recommend it. Have to go with 42# injectors (and a strainer) at that point, though.

RXTScott
    looks awesome. Nice pics. need to save up for the green wheel though. The thermostat is considered an upgrade? Keeps engine cooler hence rns better? just curious?

RXTScott
    vx1 - thanks for the great info - The boat is shrink wrapped so I'm going to buy the parts slowly over the winter and mod it after I get the 10 hour tune done in the spring. The green wheel and intercooler are going to be later next year. Too much $$$ to spend in one shot for me. Do u think the 14/19 will be ok with just the intake mod done until then? WIll I see benefits or loose?

Quote Originally Posted by rxtscott
    Do u think the 14/19 will be ok with just the intake mod done until then?
    Yep, that's what I was saying; don't waste your time with the 13/18, because with your plans, you'll grow out of it soon. In the wintertime, the 14/19 will be close being right, but too tall in the summer without at least the Green wheel.

Qatar- Nice collection of boats you're working on. Guess you have lots of nice new islands to explore.

Some notes on your plans:

#4 RTX intake grate: I know you're an engineer, but pretty sure the logistics of modifying the grate to fit the boat would not be worth the effort. A boat doesn't come unhooked to the degree a ski does, so it would just slow you down. If you do touch the stock grate, keep in mind that the main bolt goes all the way through the hull, and the bolts have to be heated to remove them, or they will break (ask me how I know).

#5 SS wear ring: I really like my SS wear ring, but I say don't use it unless you also put in a solid front engine mount. My first prop took quite a beating against the ring in just a few hours before I installed the mount. I was experiencing a cavitation-like delay on holeshot, because the tolerances between the ring and prop was getting worn away. I don't notice that problem with the engine mount installed.

#6 breather/catch can: not an expert on this, but I believe running in salt water, you'd be better off leaving the stock oil blow-by valve in place to protect your internals better. As I mentioned in the earlier post, you can utilize your stock intake with a custom intake, and receive the benefits of both.

#8 14/17r prop: Good prop for a stage 1 RXT, but I've never heard of one used on a boat. Although I'd think the dynamics between the 150 and RXT would be similiar, I have to believe you'd be all over the rev-limiter with the 14/17. The last pitch number is supposed to more correspond to top end of the prop, and I was at the limiter with a 13/18. I think, just like with rxtscott, a 14/19 would be a good fit for you. You could take out 1mm of pitch, and put it back when you get the Green wheel.

Thread Information