Thread: 97XP

97XP

Guys I am chasing a little advice. Had my carbs rebuilt about 10 -15 hours ago. Rode about three quarters of the time in fresh water and was great at starts from cold. Once moored for a little while it was a bit of a pain in the a55. It was like it was fuel starved or flooded. Primed it a couple of times it would start and a bit sluggish then it was fine.

I then took it for a run in the salt water no problem. Went to flush the salt water out and it revved its guts out and I had to flood it to switch it off. When it cooled down it was fine and I could flush the water out. Sounded like a air leak on the induction side.

I didn't do anything and took it out again today in fresh water and again great at the cold start and a pain to start after being moored for a short time. When I took it out of the water and started it to flush the water out each time I revved it I could hear it back fire. Got home and it didn't do any backfires. Have I got a leak somewhere, does anyone have suggestions?.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    If the ski lean-revs uncontrollably out of the water the low speed fuel mixture is too lean. The screws are under the carbs. Screw them all the way back in, and lightly seat them, then back out 1 & 1/4 turns. This is optimum for a stock ski, you didn't mention any mods?

The engine starts easily when cold because of your primer. It compensates for the lean condition. When hot after sitting, it should still start immediately, by just touching the starter.

You did a good job describing your problem. Out of water really tells how well your carbs are tuned. It should also idle at 3k out of water, 1.5k in.

BTW...it's posible you have an air leak. I gave you the base thing to try first. Look at your spark plugs. The ceramic should be a chocolate-brown color. If one of them are white like brand-new...this is your lean problem cylinder.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 11-25-2007 at 11:11 AM.

+1
    Ditch the accel pump on the carbs & rejet carbs to 96 XP specs,it will run a lot better & have fewer problems.

+1
    where the carbs mount to the rotary valve cover check to see if the gaskets are there or missing, that can cause an air leak. I suggest using the thicker aftermarket gaskets or doubling up on the OEM ones using some 518 inbetween them. As far as sitting it maybe vapor lock, the thicker gaskets can help this too. if your primer is on the main fuelline and it also has a leak in it's line/hose, that also can cause the runaway/hard start condition, put the primer on the return line in a low/close to the bottom of the hull spot in the line.

TLR

Checked both plugs and the ceramics are both chocolate brown colour. I checked the fuel bowl/filter and there was a fair bit of crap in there, no water, just bits of junk. Would that help cause this problem. Sorry for the stupid questions new to two strokes

Carbies have been taken off and there was a little water in there. New gaskets put back on and it all seems to be good. The PSI on each cylinder is about 150 and 155. Is that a little down, and should I worry about it yet

+1
    Comp is fine.

Its all in the carbs these days.

Thread Information