Problems with 97 gsx I recently purchased

I recently purchased a 97 gsx with 800 motor with only 60 hours on it. Its clean and was covered and garaged. For the most part it was only run till about 99. I paid 2000.00 and this also came with trailer and cover. I think did well. The first problem I had was a fuel sending unit. I oppted to replace instead of fixing. What a bitch it was to remove and replace. That was a success. My second more major problem is that when your driving it will just die. you will have to re insert landyard to go again. I replaced the lanyard post but that did nothing. The problem seems to be getting worse. The Multi function diplay says ENTERPT and then HULIE. What do I have going on here? ..........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Itowpolarismatrix View Post
    I recently purchased a 97 gsx with 800 motor with only 60 hours on it. Its clean and was covered and garaged. For the most part it was only run till about 99. I paid 2000.00 and this also came with trailer and cover. I think did well. The first problem I had was a fuel sending unit. I oppted to replace instead of fixing. What a bitch it was to remove and replace. That was a success. My second more major problem is that when your driving it will just die. you will have to re insert landyard to go again. I replaced the lanyard post but that did nothing. The problem seems to be getting worse. The Multi function diplay says ENTERPT and then HULIE. What do I have going on here? ..........
    Have you cleaned/rebuilt the carbs ??

That would be a good start & also replace all the grey fuel lines,they are notorious for deteriorating inside & clogging the small filters in the carbs which will lead to fuel starvation & the piston seizure.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Is it dying running wot? If so...you may be seizing a piston. The next time it does this, don't start it back up. Pull the seat and snatch your spark plugs floating in the water. If one is gray and looks like aluminum on the electrode, it's seized.

If both are chocolate brown, it's something else.

+1
    The shutting off COULD be corrosion on the mpem harness plug. I had the same thing happen to me a few times, run at any throttle & it would die & i'd have to pull & re-insert the key. Although I am running an after market rev limiter, the connection from the limiter to the inline oem harness had corrosion, once cleaned & covered in dielectric it was solved. I replaced the rectifier & lanyard post & it was no good.

Your display is in french, i'm sure you knew that. Did you want to change it to english?

+1
    "huile" is oil.
    is your ski still running with the oil injection system?? is it maybe low on oil??
    or maybe the sensor is bad??
    or are you runnig premix??
    what is your compression #'s?
    tell us when it cuts out...

So If I remember corectly compression is 160 per cylinder i tested when I bought it say 15 hours ago. I would like to know how to change multi function display to english. and im still on auto lube, Do you all think this is a good idea? I will retest compression this weekend. if its good iI will assume that The motor has not been siezing. And rebuilding the carbs would probably be a good idea

+1
    150 psi comp.
    If you really wanna be sure about the seizing just pull the head. It's O ringed so you won't need a gasket to replace. OR, pull the rave assemblies off & take a peak at the skirts & walls through the rave opening.

+1
    auto lube is fine, the seadoo units are sturdy. i cant rememebr the sequence to change the language. i got newer skis now and they were all in english from teh factory...
    but why is your ski saying oil???
    hmmmm.

found a plug disconnected to the oil sending unit in the oil tank so im sure thats why it says oil.

Thread Information