Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Something broke leaving me stranded in 36temps !

Kinda of a long story but DEFF worth reading !

While ridding today on my what I was plannign on being my last ride of the season b4 I winterize, my 250 ran well for the 1st hour or so and then all of the sudden the RPM's droped big time and speed droped and the oil press light came on then the engine shut down (all of that happend in less than 3 seconds) then I noticed smoke comming from under the rear seat so I pulled the seat off and looked inside the engine area and noticed a oil and gas mixture at the bottom of the hull and lots of it....at this point I have no idea what it may be....I am thinking head gasket or maybe something on the oil filter I really dont have a clue as of now...Any ideas on what I could check ??

But at this point after I find out my ski is not going to start the real fun part for me is just getting started....Ok let me give you the weather conditions I was crazy enough to ride in ...Its a inland lake with about 6miles of costline and the Air temp 36 water temp 38 0-1mph wind form the north...and there was not a single person out on the lake to give me a ride/tow so I am thinking I am really in big trouble here ...
    So I sit on my ski for about 30mins trying to think of how the hell I am going to get my self out of this mess and looking around I dont see anyone on the lake or on land around their lake houses at all and the wind wasnt helping me get close to shore I thought Id just wait it out and the wind would bring me in but there wasnt enought wind to move me and I have about 3 hours of daylight left and the temp is droping and there was a forcasted low temp of 23 over night so I knew I had to get in fast I had no other chioce other than too so man up and jump in the water and grab the back of my ski and kick/swim like there is no tomorrow and there very well may have been no tomorrow for me in these temps ...So I am about 10mins into my swim still pushing my ski and I notice somehow my body is very very warm even tho the water temp was about 38 and then I notice I have made quite a bit of progress on getthing to shore so I kick it in high gear and and my mind set not to stop until I get to shore no matter how tired my legs get because I thought if I stop and get on my ski to take a rest while wet I thought that may be the end of time as I know it thinking maybe shock or hypothermea (how ever its spelled) may kick in and I knew as long as I kept swiming I was staying very warm in my head to toe wet suit I was wearing....So finaly after about 45mins of swiming I make it to shore to some guys lake house that lives on the lake there and he has a blanket and a cup of hot milk ready for me what a awesome guy ! but really I had no need for the milk or the blanket after that swim I was so warm I wanted to take my wetsuit off

So this guy give me a ride back to the launch ramp to get my truck and trailer and he then allows me to back up through his yard so I can get my ski on my trailer the ground was not totaly frozen but firm enough it didnt do any damage to his yard

If it wasnt for this guy I dont know what I would have done cuz the launch ramp was at least 2 miles away he was a perfict stranger to me and helped me out so much I have no idea on how to thank him...he wouldnt take money or anything he just said and hand shake and a big thank you was enough

Anyway I am home safe and sound now I have to find out what I am going to do to get my ski fixed....My plan is to put as much as I can back to stock if not EVERYTHING back to stock and take it to my dealer

A local police office pulled up just as I was putting my ski on my trailer and I told him my story and he said I was lucky to be alive after being in the water that long he said normaly if anyone is in water that cold for more than 15mins shock sets in and they are pretty much doomed if they arent rescued very shortly he said the combo of my wet suit and my non-stop exhausting swim is want kept me warm/alive

Ok guys just thought Id share my "man vs. wild" story

+1
    Wow, your lucky. You should get yourself a telescoping paddle, radio and/or cell phone for those next cold trips.

Fair play!!!! sounds like fun, sort of.....

Will make a good story for the gran kids some day!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sstaino View Post
    Wow, your lucky. You should get yourself a telescoping paddle, radio and/or cell phone for those next cold trips.

I am thinking the same thing but last 2 times I took my cell it some how got moisture inside of it and it stoped working even tho I never took it out of the glove box

I need to get some sort of waterproof case for it...and Ive already done some online shopping for a telescoping paddle at Bass pro
    Last edited by Ultra250xryder; 11-25-2007 at 06:14 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250xryder View Post
    I am thinking the same thing but last 2 times I took my cell it some how got moisture inside of it and it stoped working even tho I never took it out of the glove box

I need to get some sort of waterproof case for it...and Ive already priced a telescoping paddle at my local Bass pro shop
    I use a zip lock bag.

get a waterproof vhf radio or ride with a buddy....

Glad to hear you made it back safe and alive...

Quote Originally Posted by RustySeaRustyDoo View Post
    get a waterproof vhf radio or ride with a buddy....

Glad to hear you made it back safe and alive...

Thanks...And I am sitting here now thinking it was pretty dumb of me to ride with out a "just in case" plan

Yeah,your one lucky dude for sure.I put the cell phone in a tupperware container (one that is made to carry a sandwich) and toss it in between the folds of a towel in one of the compartments.It fits perfectly along with a pack of Marlboro and a bic lighter,lol.Not always easy to find someone else to ride with,but very easy to carry a cellphone.Make it a priority every time you ride.

+1
    What's your age? With the wetsuit you save your ass. Good story, glad your good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250xryder View Post
    ...I had no other chioce other than too man up and jump in the water and grab the back of my ski and kick/swim like there is no tomorrow...So finaly after about 45mins of swiming I make it to shore to some guys lake house that lives on the lake there and he has a blanket and a cup of hot milk ready for me what a awesome guy...he was a perfict stranger to me and helped me out so much I have no idea on how to thank him...he wouldnt take money or anything he just said and hand shake and a big thank you was enough...anyway I am home safe and sound now...
    Great story 250Ryder! Thank goodness you had that wetsuit. Perfect time of year to hear about the kindness of a stranger.

Will be very interested to hear cause of problem. At least it happened at the very end of season!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hypotherma.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	46139  

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information