Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    West Coast Watercraft Club in SoCal X-Rated's Avatar
    +1

Proper Pitch and Smoking Issues

I recently had my 2001 Yamaha 1200 XLT rebuilt and they replaced the entire engine with a R & D Head, Platnium Pistons and a Pro-Tec pipe. Here is the question, the person who did the work replaced the impeller to provide more bottom end, thus suffering speeds over 54 MPH checked on a GPS. I have been looking into Solas impellers and speaking to many mechanics about what to do. So far I am not impressed by any of their suggestions. Also another issue is fowled spark plugs and excessive smoking at idle or during slow wake, as I am using a BR7ES instead of the 11's. According the R & D they dont suugest BR7ES spark plugs but they were unclear of why?

Dude, you've got a mechanic that's an idiot from what I'm hearing. BR7ES is a hotter plug than the BR8ES-11, the last thing you want is a hotter heat range plug. 54 mph, what did he put in there for an impeller, an anchor? Platinum pistons, what the hell are those?? I just re-read and see it's an XLT but 54 mph still sounds low. It's for sure running too rich which is ok on a new motor but have him lean the carbs down some. Get rid of the BR7 plugs and put in the 8's. And ask him what brand pistons he put in there as well as what impeller.
    Last edited by VOODOO; 11-25-2007 at 09:52 PM.

+1
    BR7ES are too hot of a plug.... The 11's would be much better....
    Last edited by james k; 11-25-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james k View Post
    BR7ES are too cold of a plug.... The 11's would be much better....
    Dude, if you don't know what you're talking about please don't comment and cost someone a motor. BR7ES is a hotter plug than a BR8ES. The BR8ES-11 plug is the same heat range as the BR8ES but it has a wider gap which works better for the 1200R engine but it's not a big deal, the heat range is. Some people run BR9ES plugs on modified motors because it's a colder plug, nobody runs the BR7ES.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    Dude, if you don't know what you're talking about please don't comment and cost someone a motor. BR7ES is a hotter plug than a BR8ES. The BR8ES-11 plug is the same heat range as the BR8ES but it has a wider gap which works better for the 1200R engine but it's not a big deal, the heat range is. Some people run BR9ES plugs on modified motors because it's a colder plug, nobody runs the BR7ES.
    Sorry it was a typo,caught it before i read your post.... BTW: I have been building race engines for 15yrs,so its not a matter of knowing or not,mistake...

+1

Lightbulb Hmmmmm..!!

Hey there Postfaculity..

First order of business welcome on board the forum..

Next order of business:.. your mechanic quite possibly is an idiot..??

The plugs he/she has fitted aren't advised for your motor..
    Platinum pistons, are made by WSM (mediocre quality)..
    see here:..http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/wsm...num_series.htm

Ideally you should list more of exactly whats been done. and why..??

Then there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum,
    Which i can guarantee will get you going in the right direction..!!

Post up a little more info.. i.e, prop/compression/carb settings etc

Gerry

+1
    Postfacility welcome to the Hulk!!

1. Try and find out what compression is on the heads and what and all mods and jetting were done to the carbs. These will be important factors in dialing in your motor to work correctly with that pipe.
    2. Also try and find out what pitch impeller he put on it?
    3. Does it have stock or aftermarket ride plate and intake grate?
    The Platinum pistons are WSM brand and are not top of the line like the name implies. They are a coated version of their cast piston.

+1

Smile ????????

Quote Originally Posted by postfacility View Post
    I recently had my 2001 Yamaha 1200 XLT rebuilt and they replaced the entire engine with a R & D Head, Platnium Pistons and a Pro-Tec pipe. Here is the question, the person who did the work replaced the impeller to provide more bottom end, thus suffering speeds over 54 MPH checked on a GPS. I have been looking into Solas impellers and speaking to many mechanics about what to do. So far I am not impressed by any of their suggestions. Also another issue is fowled spark plugs and excessive smoking at idle or during slow wake, as I am using a BR7ES instead of the 11's. According the R & D they dont suugest BR7ES spark plugs but they were unclear of why?

Hey Again..

After rereading your post...

It seems you could be asking a lot from your mechanic and XL..!!

These ski's rarely see 60mph when standard..

So by asking for more holeshot(bottom end), something HAS to give in topend..!!

Also i'd suggest the smoking at idle is due to going premix.. (likely done after an engine failure.??)
    This is normal..!!(if its really excessive, probably down to too much 2stroke oil being added..)

What we still need to know about are prop pitch and what exactly has been done to the engine..
    Also your protec pipe is another of these gain bottom but lose top items..!!

Gerry
    Last edited by quadzilla; 11-25-2007 at 10:23 PM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by james k View Post
    Sorry it was a typo,caught it before i read your post.... BTW: I have been building race engines for 15yrs,so its not a matter of knowing or not,mistake...
    I'm sorry that I went off on you, I guess I didn't realize your experience. Quadzilla is giving you good advice, I would also do a compression check to see how the rings have seated in on that new engine. I find it strange that the plugs are fouling while running that hot of a plug unless he has it set-up very rich. Either way I would get those plugs out of there and have someone that knows what they're doing tune those carbs.

West Coast Watercraft Club in SoCal X-Rated's Avatar
    +1

Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    Postfacility welcome to the Hulk!!
    1. Try and find out what compression is on the heads and what and all mods and jetting were done to the carbs. These will be important factors in dialing in your motor to work correctly with that pipe.
    2. Also try and find out what pitch impeller he put on it?
    3. Does it have stock or aftermarket ride plate and intake grate?
    The Platinum pistons are WSM brand and are not top of the line like the name implies. They are a coated version of their cast piston.
    I am going to call the IDIOT who did the engine rebuild on Monday and will keep you posted... Thanks for the help. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information