Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

new waverunner smoking question

I have a question, we have 2 new 2007 waverunner vx 110 sports, we put 35 hours on them now, they have been serviced at 10 and 25 hr oil change by the dealer. we ride them only, i noticed just before the last service around 28 hours one of the waverunners smokes when out of water i notice it, when your blowing out the water, or when flushing out the engine on water hose, in other words when on land. the air filter looks clean, the oil is fine, and it can be enough smoke ( for 3-5 seconds) to cover your fist from being seen, or whole hand. its noticeable for sure. the other one dont do that, when i told the service guy he said some do that, but i doubt they checked anything on that, just changed oil and that was it.
    this just started around 22 hours of use. now i also notice a slight dinging noise not on the other waverunner after it comes down on land from reveing it up to blow the water out, a sound not on the other, but cant find anything loose or obvious, maybe its just the uniqueness of that engine.. as it runs fine and shows no warnings,etc... teh smoke is bothering me, i dont think its suppose to do that, and i dont think the dealer is up on them to much either, they mainly sell bikes. any suggestions to these problems, especially the smoke?

I have the same ski and I don't have the SMOKE problem. I would really try another dealer/shop.

+1
    `i would be concerned about the smoke
    4 strokes will burn some oil but you should not see it smoking

kev

You said the machines were purchased new, did you break them in properly?
    When my VX has been sitting for awhile(month) and you do a cold start and rev up the engine you will notice some exhast, but it's heavy and slightly dark. Oil is light blue-grey and kinda floats around in air. You shouldn't rev up the motor when doing a cold start, after a few minutes when your done flushing is the only time you should rev to get the water out of the waterbox. When there is no load on the drive line(on the trailer), it will be more noisey. Try not rev engine, unless your getting out the last bit of water after flushung.

+1
    i think we did a average job breaking them in...when it smokes that i notice, is after we pull out of the water, trailer it, then bblow out the water, one ski will put out a pretty noticeable amount of white smoke..

the other one wont put any out..???

White smoke? That could be a head gasket leak. Cooling water might be getting into the cylinders eithier through the gasket or somewhere else into the combustion chamber. On a car, when you see white smoke usually it's a coolant leaking into the engine(head gasket). The only thing is on a car you can smell the exhast if it smells sweet, it's the antifreeze coming out. On a ski just would be wet...check your engine oil, if milky bubbles in it or a white film, then it's water or alot of moisture.

Find another dealer who specilizes in just Yamaha skis.

+1

Brewster or anyone else

ok, so they looked at the plugs, the oil level, and air filter, nothing was wrong, oil level is teh same. see no white color bubbles or any contaminents in the oil. no signs of oil in air filter box, nothing anywhere on engine, nothing in bottom of hull, so do i accept the fact it will just smoke or not. i still feel its not right, but im no mechanic by a long shot!

again, only notice it when blowing out water on trailer or runnning engine on hose after a minute or so..

I think brewster covered up bout everything I would say, idk how many hours of use do u put on it on daily runs?? just curious

__________________________________________________ _________
    05 VX110 Sport- R&D intake grate, Riva air intake, Solas 18/24 58.8 mph(mine)
    still modding, please help me w/ what I should add next!
    RXT stock forever-67.7 mph(family)
    RXPX-soon to come and be modded(dads and mine)

+1

Hi, serioulsy

they have 38 hours, we usually tour one day a week, 1-2 hours, then play around the shore line for 1 hour, maybe 6-7 hours a week total, oil changed every 25 hours so far, plus the 10 hr break in... what concerns me most is the wifes ski dont do it, mine started a few weeks ago...that is why i feel something is wrong, but now twice to 2 different dealers and no problems they see...but i just dont buy it, why the smoke then>>

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogs101 View Post
    ok, so they looked at the plugs, the oil level, and air filter, nothing was wrong, oil level is teh same. see no white color bubbles or any contaminents in the oil. no signs of oil in air filter box, nothing anywhere on engine, nothing in bottom of hull, so do i accept the fact it will just smoke or not. i still feel its not right, but im no mechanic by a long shot!

again, only notice it when blowing out water on trailer or runnning engine on hose after a minute or so..
    Very strange. You can see the smoke on the trailer, but nothing happening while at wake speed? Maybe the intake boot has a crack or loose clamp and water is seeping in. You mentioned checking the plugs, maybe you should put some new ones in.

At my ten hour service my dealer screwed up my plugs. They pulled them out and cleaned them by sand blasting them with beads. After the service my VX ran horrible. I found out the oil was overfilled and my sparks plugs were way worn from the cleaning. My dealer told me everything was fine, so I did my own service and thats how I found out about the plugs and oil. As soon I changed the plugs everything was back to normal. I was so relieved.

Keep trying, you will figure it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information