Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Angry Stripped Fuel Rail Bolts -- What To Do???

Hello everyone. To make a long story short, because I am an idiot I set my torque wrench to 80 POUNDS and not 80 INCHES of force to put my two fuel rail bolts back on. They are stripped. Now, no matter how tight a hold i get on them with a needle nose vice grip, and turning to the left and pulling as hard as possible, they do not come out. They simply turn and turn and you can see the fuel rail moving forward and back with the turning, but alas, there seems to be no way to remove them.

So, should i cut the heads off before drilling them out or what?

What is the best way to remove these suckers? The heads are still intact, albeit a little worse for wear when the needle nose vice grip would lose it's grip and pop off, taking tiny fragments with them.

Any advice for me regarding how to remove these?

Also, they seem to screw into a plastic piece off the engine. Does anyone know how much that part might be?

Best regards all and thanks in advance!!!

What MMY is your ski

I have a 2007 RXP supercharged. I did the terrible deed of stripping my fuel rail bolts when trying to winterize it. Right now the antifreeze is through the intercooler intake and exhaust manifold, and i even put some in the J bend near the tail pipe. But I have not fogged the engine due to not being able to get the fuel rail bolts off. I was going to do it through the spark plugs but i need a special tool i guess because my normal spark plug removal socket won't fit into the holes in the engine.

So what do i do now?

+1
    My best guess without seeing it is that when you tightened the bolts down, that you stripped them so much, that the aluminum and the bolt are actually holding each other together, which is why you can't get them out.

If this is the case, you are going to have to cut the bolt heads off, and then pull the intake manifold to have the bolts drilled out by a GOOD machine shop, and then have them heilcoiled.
    Last edited by zone 5; 11-26-2007 at 03:51 PM.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    get a different socket....as far as the fuel rail you probably stripped the metal inserts in the manifold. Cutting the heads is probably how I'd fix it. But, I'd wait to see what others solutions might be.

+1
    I am not certain but, the intake manafold is plastic and it has brass nuts or incerts molded into the plastic. The bolts screw into these incerts. What has most likley has happened is the incerts have broken loose and are spinning in the plastic. Move the injector, they will twist enough to give you some room and squeese the plastic with some vise grips to try and hold the incert and see if they will unscrew. Before you do this though hold the plastic part of the intake and turn the bolt and see if you can feel the plastic expanding as the incert spins so you will know where the incert is exactly.
    Last edited by Bama; 11-26-2007 at 05:58 PM.

+1
    I am not certain but, the intake manafold is plastic and it has brass nuts or incerts molded into the plastic. The bolts screw into these incerts. What has most likley has happened is the incerts have broken loose and are spinning in the plastic. Move the injector, they will twist enough to give you some room and squeese the plastic with some vise grips to try and hold the incert and see if they will unscrew.

+1
    Been there with the stripped out insert. I removed the other bolt and went back to the insert that was stripped and turned it several times attempting to hold it in place. Since that does not work I pulled upwards on the rail at the mounting point and turned the bolt at the same time. The insert finally came out of the manifold and I was able to remove it from the bolt. After cleaning up the insert and manifold I used a two part epoxy and glued the insert back into place and let it dry overnight.
    Installed everything back together and have not had any problems since and have changed the injectors since then.

DaveC you are the man!!! I just might be able to fix this based on your similar experience. However, I have 2 stripped bolts, both, because i didn't know the damn thing stripped the first one. I took the stripping to be when the torque wrench let loose due to reaching the proper torque. It made no sound to indicate something broke.

So, if i have both bolts stripped, you think i should pull up on the fuel rail nearest to where the bolt is at, and try to remove it at that time? If I use a cordless drill to do it, should i turn it very slowly? Will the insert drop on the inside of the plastic piece or will the bolt walk out as normal?

Thanks in advance!!!

+1
    Both of them are stripped ?? That should be interesting to do. If it were me I would just do like I had done already. Using a slight upward pressue on the mounting tab(basically pulling upward) and turning the bolt with a a socket. You will need to be careful since the other side is still attached, but I do not see why you could not do it this way. Just take your time and they should come out ok.

The plastic manifold is thin where the insert is, I would not use a drill on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyshore View Post
    DaveC you are the man!!! I just might be able to fix this based on your similar experience. However, I have 2 stripped bolts, both, because i didn't know the damn thing stripped the first one. I took the stripping to be when the torque wrench let loose due to reaching the proper torque. It made no sound to indicate something broke.

So, if i have both bolts stripped, you think i should pull up on the fuel rail nearest to where the bolt is at, and try to remove it at that time? If I use a cordless drill to do it, should i turn it very slowly? Will the insert drop on the inside of the plastic piece or will the bolt walk out as normal?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by DaveC; 11-27-2007 at 01:04 AM. Reason: a

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information