Leaving mid-wall in 4 shaft mount on GPRXP

I am working on my GPRXP right now and have thought up an idea. I am not sure that it will work, but it may.

Could i just cut the GPR mid-wall around the intermediate shaft mount/coupler and leave it in its stock location????

Would Ted's driveshaft still work? I am guessing Ted's driveshaft wouldnt work then- and it would be too long.

What does Ted do to make the driveshaft? I am assuming that he cuts both shafts, welds them 2gether, and then balances them?? I am sure that i can find a local machine shop and engine builder to do that.

I am trying to make the swap even easier than it already is-- K.I.S.S. (Keep It Stupid Simple) is how i build everything.
    Thanks guys and I look forward to some answers from the swap pros!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    then you couldn't run a 2" extension ever i think

Mark/Ted's current design is very simple... i dont think its any more complicated than what u just mentioned.

either way the whole intermediate shaft needs to get machined... so whats the difference as far as simplicity if the bearing housing is in stock GPR location or moved further back like the current design?

nonetheless, i'm pretty positive you would eliminate the possibility of running a 2" extension if you do it this way, not sure

I think you are right shibby!

If i left the mid-wall and bearing housing in place where it is-- i would still be running the stock 30" driveshaft. Moving the bearing housing back 2" is why you need the pump extension with the 30" driveshaft.

How do the yamaha GPR guys run the pump extension without moving the bearing housing?? What driveshaft are they using?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    they are also buying a different intermediate shaft i believe...

the conversion skis use only a 2000-2001 intermdiate shaft for the machining process

in a regular GPR, i BELIEVE u need a 2002+ ishaft AND 30" shaft with a 2" extension.

THANKS SHIBBY-- any other thoughts or ideas?? thanks

+1
    A little tough to explain, but I spent months with this, so bear with me....

I'm POSITIVE, that if you are sooooo inclined to keep that midwall, you can send in the RXP driveshaft and intermediate shaft to Ted, and have him cut it back another 2" internal and external he can do it. He's not welding shaft or anything like that.. The process takes many machine steps, and is a very precision driveshaft when he is done. Expect to triple the cost if you want a one-of-a-kind.

The mid wall interferes with damn near everything... IC, J-pipe, waterbox, battery, etc... the idea was not to get rid of the midwall for the driveshaft, it was to get rid of the midwall to make room for everything else. You will need to make your own J-pipe, or cut another hole in the midwall. You will need to cut the top of the wall down to clear the intake, and the bottom right to clear the SC. You will need to take the left side of the wall out to put in the external IC, or remove half of it to put in the turbo.

Simple yes. Practical. No.

But hey, that is what makes these so fun. They are all just a little different than each other.

wall must fall...wall must fall.

I was going to remove the wall=-- well all besides the bearing mount part of the wall.

+1
    This is NO LONGER a Yamaha mount system. In fact, it is almost identical to the SD system, but ONLY uses the Yamaha bearing assembly as a water seal. Thats worth repeating. It ONLY uses the Yamaha bearing assembly as a water seal. The support is in the pump bearing, and the engine. In fact if there is interference in the mid-wall, then you will be binding the entire system. That bearing assembly is ONLY used now to seal water out of the hull.

This is the most simple, easy system to use. Setting up the initial alignment is the one TRUE Critical alignment, and you are done after that.

Thread Information