Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prop rubbing the SS wear ring

Kind of a slow day here, so let me throw this out there for opinions:

In preparation for my S3 SC, I bought a new 15/20r and installed it to run a performance baseline with my S2 (Green wheel) SC. With the Green wheel and 14/19+1.5mm, in this cooler weather I was WOT at 8200-8250rpms (didn't stay WOT long). I throw the 15/20 on there and my RPMs drop to 7800 WOT. I didn't expect that much difference, especially since the 14/19 has pitch added to it.

But here's the thing, the 15/20 prop was rubbing against the wear ring pretty bad. Instead of trying to file the prop down in the right place, I figured I would just let the wear ring file down the prop where it needs to, so I ran it like that.

(1) Would it be expected to see that much difference in the two props?

(2) or is prop holding down the RPMs because it is still hitting the wear ring? I would have thought that if this was initially the problem, a good half hour of running would have filed the prop so it wasn't rubbing and holding down RPMs anymore.

(3) If there truly is that much difference in the two props, what are the chances that the S3 SC is going to net me +300rpms to get me back at 8100?

Thanks for letting me bounce these questions off of the experts!

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    I would say #2 since the wear is Stainless on Stainless I would have filed the prop down myself instead of letting the wear ring do it.

My 14/19 was hitting the ss wear ring too when i installed it. I fired it up and ran it for 30 seconds and cleared it all up. I highley doubt its #2. I think the prop is that big a of a difference but thats just me....

Since I couldn't be 100% sure to get every point it was hitting, I figured I could do more damage by using trail & error to file it down myself. The SS wear ring has always seemed to do a good job at wearing down the rough edges on the prop, especially before the installation of my solid engine mount.

+1
    Scott,

When I installed a 15/20r with a RR sc impeller my rpms dropped to 7800. So I ordered a S3 sc and went to 8100 to 8140. I know you have a boat and I have a ski. I don't know how much the difference would be it did give me another 300 rpms.

Scott

Very good to know, Scotty... I have hope! (I'll know by next weekend, when the S3 SC comes in.) My Green wheel was pretty strong, so I've just been a little concerned going to the S3 would be underwelming.

+1
    I say get a race ecu and vavletrain upgrade, rude or c-kit and go 250x hunting w/ that boat!

Quote Originally Posted by 9secZO6
    I say get a race ecu and vavletrain upgrade, rude or c-kit and go 250x hunting w/ that boat!
    Eventually... wouldn't be as fun if I didn't creep up to it a bit. Very least I could see a Rude & fuel pressure regulator happenin' next year. Hey, I'd say I've been somewhat aggresive getting to Stage 2.5 in less than a year with under 20hrs on the boat!

+1
    Mine seems to have rubbed my ss a bit but it has caused me no probs. I think that the 15/20 pulled you down to 7800 as it should have. I would just run it w/ the stage 3 sc. I think youll be fine.

I agree that the new prop is much steeper than a 14/19 regaurdless of its additional pitch seems normal to loose rpm's. as far as rubbing it happens alot when new. Just take itout and file the rough edges off. BE VERY careful those edges will cut the crap out of ya....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information