Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for the resident computer gurus.

I bought a new Gateway 825GM XPMedia Center Edition PC,(yeehaw!!) I can't seem to network into my old desktop to retrieve some files,(hundreds of photos and about 6000 mp3's,lol) that I really hate to lose.The old pc will boot and display most everything,so I know the files are there.What are my options besides taking out that old hd and sticking it in the new PC? I would like to avoid cracking the new PC open if at all possible.Is there a way I can hook up the old internal hard drive externally to the new computer?Thanks in advance for any suggestions.Bert

+1
    PM Ashtott40, he can probably help ya!

Yeah, you can do it it if you buy an external hard drive reader. The only b*tch will be is restoring it and hope you didn't lose any data. Hope you had a good back up of your old system.

You just need an external hard drive enclosure.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=92

Hey Bert...path of least resistance here it to install the old hard drive as a slave in the new PC temporarily. Depending on what OS is on the old system, networking the two can be a challenge. Not impossible, but tough to give you advice over a forum board.

External enclosures are a good way to go also. It would give you a nice little backup source for files on the new PC.

Good luck, PM me if you need some help.

I recently had to reformat my hard drive on my laptop. Here is what I did: Create a new folder and put all my files that I wanted to keep in that one folder. Then I transfered that folder on to an external hard drive via the USB port. After I reformatted, I simply hooked the external hard drive back up and transfered the files back to the laptop. Networking them would probably work, but that would probably take a very long time.

If your network card on the old computer is fine then you will be able to do it. Check to make sure that the workgroup names on the computers are the same.

You can also hook it up peer to peer. You will need a crossover cable. THat is just a network cable that the wires are reversed. You can get it a office depot or any computer store.

THen just plug it in and see if it works. (search for another computer on the network) If not you may have to set up netbeui in your network connection properties.

Another way to do it is to simply get an external hard drive or usb memory key or even your camera's memory card will work. Just copy the files onto one of those and move them manually to your new machine.

Many thanks folks

Thanks guys,(and gals),I think I'll be going with the external hard drive enclosure.I am determined not to crack the case open on this new puter till the warranty expires,lol.

You're welcome Bert! Hope it all works out for you, if not just let us know!!

Eureka!!

Thanks again folks,it worked!! Thing was infested with 23 viruses and spyware programs.So much for EZ-Trust AntiVirus/Firewall,going with Norton and McAfee from here on out.At any rate,I got it all cleaned up and retrieved what I wanted...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information