Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MSX oil

MSX oil

I was out wonering around today where I live here in the cold state of Iowa, and just popped into a few auto parts store. I was reading the manual and see that the 150 requires 15W-50. Can I run like 20w-50 or does it have to be what is required? At O-Reilly's, they have 15W-50 Mobil 1. Would that work or what are your suggestions on oil for the 150? Gimme your thoughts. The oil in it only has 2.5 hrs on it, so it's good to go for a while this spring.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
    I was out wonering around today where I live here in the cold state of Iowa, and just popped into a few auto parts store. I was reading the manual and see that the 150 requires 15W-50. Can I run like 20w-50 or does it have to be what is required? At O-Reilly's, they have 15W-50 Mobil 1. Would that work or what are your suggestions on oil for the 150? Gimme your thoughts. The oil in it only has 2.5 hrs on it, so it's good to go for a while this spring.
    I have no experience with weber engines, or 4-stroke Polaris, but my take is that those 2 cylinders are fairly highy stressed, and you really don't want to do anything to make the engine's life harder than it has to be.

Somewhere in another thread, it was noted that these 150hp webers are producing a LOT of power for 750cc, and a PWC motor often runs at full power for longer periods of time than almost any other engine application.

Even full synthetic Mobile 1, which is probably about as good as anything, is cheap compared to engine repairs.

Just don't overfill it, as noted in other threads around here. The factory dipstick markings are misleading.

ya, I think I'll take it into a Polaris dealer to have the oil changed. I read the owner's manual on changing the oil, it looks kinda complicated! I work on my own vehicles as much as possible, but that's a whole different story!!

+1
    Careful, this board and those that participate probably know more than your dealer. My suggestion is get the bulletin we have in the tech section, follow the directions and do it yourself.

Post 2 here.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15435

Quote Originally Posted by sbronemann View Post
    This one is easy!

Mobil 1 15W-50 (brought back by popular demand) is perfect for your MSX 150. Mobil 1 is rated 'SM'...at least 3 generations improvement over the factory specified 'SJ'. Just for your information, the 'S' stands for spark plug engine...and the 'M' stands for the certified service rating. Each formula generation is assigned the second letter, and the higher the letter, the higher the standard for that generation. In short...you can never go wrong using a 'S#' rating higher than what your engine requires...but NEVER use a 'S#' rating below your specified requirement. You can get this Mobil 1 at Wal Mart, for a fraction of what your Polaris dealer will charge for their Pure brand synthetic oil.

Changing the oil is a lot simpler than suggested by the manual...but changing the filter can be a chore. The best tool for the filter will be a 1 1/16" open end 'crowsfoot', 1/2" drive. I will find this socket on the Snap-On site...and post a picture. The current oil filter available from the dealer is the newer 1 piece style, as opposed to the replaceable paper element (you used to reuse the filter housing) shown in the parts manual. It is a better design, and simpler to install (also comes with a new o-ring, very important). When you pull your filter, you will know if you have the stock, or improved, setup. If stock...you may still be able to find the paper element at the dealer, but I suggest that you go with the improved filter.
    Last edited by K447; 03-27-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Corrected oil spec to 15W50 from 15W50W

Thanks Rocky. The first time might be a lil scary changin the oil. I'm sure I could suck Keddano into coming to help me, so it's all good. He doesn't know that yet tho!!! lol

Question Difference between 15W-50 and 15W-50W

I am in the process doing my first solo oil change in my MSX150s. I just got home from Walmart with two jugs of Mobil1 15W-50 motor oil. I wanted to double check that I got the right stuff, so I re-read Rocky's post from before. I noticed that he mentions 15W-50W. Is there a difference between the 15W-50 and 15W-50W (notice extra W at end)?

Quote Originally Posted by cwiederspan View Post
    I am in the process doing my first solo oil change in my MSX150s. I just got home from Walmart with two jugs of Mobil1 15W-50 motor oil. I wanted to double check that I got the right stuff, so I re-read Rocky's post from before. I noticed that he mentions 15W-50W. Is there a difference between the 15W-50 and 15W-50W (notice extra W at end)?
    No...I meant to say 15W-50. You 'dun' good!

When you get to be my age...you need all the extra 'w's you can get your hands on!

Happy skiing!

Oil chabge is easy!

Rocky,
    Excellent post & advice..

Changing the oil isn't difficult with the purchase of a few tools, and who says the dealer is any better at it than you?

I recommend a good oil filter socket, and a vacuum pump. I will attach links to them, but you can buy elswhere also.. If you purchase the parts from me, free advice is always included!
    http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/...il_Filters.htm

http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Fluid_Evacuator.htm

http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/...ter_Socket.htm

Thanks for looking!
    Randy

oil

is the mobil1 15w-50 Synthetic ok?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information