Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intake Grate Help

Don't ask me how, but the front bolt on my intake grate broke off leaving the main part still in the hole in the boat.

From doing some reseach it sounds like this bolt goes through the hull and may require heat to remove it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this bolt break, and what you did to remove it and replace it with a new one? It seems like the obvoius option is to drill it out, but thought I would check here to see if anyone has any advice on this.

If shes got boobs or a throttle, I'm on it! badvinny's Avatar
    Pretty sure you have to drill it out, my advice is to make sure you drill completely through the bolt, not only 2/3rds, then try an easy out!

Yeah, mine broke last March. Didn't quite know what red loctite was back then, or that it was used there. The pump had sucked-up a plastic volleyball that had been living at the bottom of the lake underneath the boathouse. I figured it was an easy enough job to unscrew four bolts, take off the grate, and clean the jet, but nooooooo. I took out the small bolts just fine, but the big thru-hull one snapped. Oh well, wanting to still clean the jet, I tried to take the grate off and it wouldn't bulge. I literally hung from the grate with all of my 185lbs, and it never came off. I cleaned the vball out another way, put the three smaller bolts back on and just left it that way. My grate's not going anywhere.

Good to see a few people have found the new home of the boat forum. Ghost town over here lately.

Boy VX1, I wish I was in your shoes. We are just getting into winter up here in MN and not a day goes by I don't dream of being on the water. Can't wait to throw it back into the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by spd5535
    Boy VX1, I wish I was in your shoes.
    Careful whatcha wish for though. The reason I was taking the boat out of the boathouse last March is because the water on my lake was getting too low to get on the lift. The boat's been rotting in the backyard ever since. Best case scenario, it'll be next July or August before the water comes back (if we get a good hurricane). That's why I spend so much time modding my boat... because I can't actually use it! Betcha I still pay property tax like I still live on a lake though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000741.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	46873  

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Careful whatcha wish for though. The reason I was taking the boat out of the boathouse last March is because the water on my lake was getting too low to get on the lift.
    Man!! That sucks...we are low in N Florida but have the river and inland water way to ride in.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1
    My grate's not going anywhere.
    Let me revise this statement to: "Wow, my grate is gone, ripped clean off, and I have no clue how long I've been running like that." Well, I know it was recent, because it wasn't long ago when I had to dig a ton of weeds out of the grate, but I have no idea the exact point it happened and what effect it has on my recent efforts at top speed with the S3 SC. Really too bad Sea-Doo didn't use the same grate as the RXT so I could go aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Let me revise this statement to: "Wow, my grate is gone, ripped clean off, and I have no clue how long I've been running like that." Well, I know it was recent, because it wasn't long ago when I had to dig a ton of weeds out of the grate, but I have no idea the exact point it happened and what effect it has on my recent efforts at top speed with the S3 SC. Really too bad Sea-Doo didn't use the same grate as the RXT so I could go aftermarket.
    I got a stock 1 for sale if you want it?..... I found it in florida when I was visiting

Damn tourists come to our state and steal all our good shells and intake grates.

The grates are more trouble than they're worth! After breaking a bolt trying to remove one so I could get schwag out of the impeller, I just removed them both & have been riding that way for two seasons w/ no probs whatsoever. With stainless rings & thicker solas impellers, really no issues whatsoever. Just my one-cent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information