Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HELP - salt water in gas tank

Long story short, (ocean) salt water in the gas tank (2006 RXT). What do I do?

How much are we talking?

Drain it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you start it up and let the fuel/salt water run through the fuel system?

I don't know how much sea water got into the gas tank, but I was jumping/riding waves in the ocean for about 1 hour with the gas cap off(waves were up to 8 ft). The RPM was dropping to 5,500. Anyways, I called a sea doo dealership and a mechanic told me to pump out all the gasoline, let the gas tank dry out, fill it up with new gasoline and it should be okay. I just finished pumping out all the gasoline and I placed a fan so that the fan breeze is forced into the gas tank.

Does anyone know if this is all there is to it?

+1
    Yeah it does matter how much water. I got some in a ole GTX I had. I went off riding and forgot to replace gas cap. Can you say Big Gulp. I put some gas additive in it Isoheat or something like that made for cold areas where condensation in your gas tank happens. Worked out okay for me. Again if ya got a bunch you probally should drain gas

+1
    Use a shop vac... attached to a 5 gal. bucket with a lid then drill a hole in the bucket for the smaller hose that goes in the tank. You may have to put a nut on the end of the hose to wiegh the end of the hose down.

Quote Originally Posted by jawz View Post
    Use a shop vac... attached to a 5 gal. bucket with a lid then drill a hole in the bucket for the smaller hose that goes in the tank. You may have to put a nut on the end of the hose to wiegh the end of the hose down.

That sounds like a good way to blow yourself up. We are talking about flamable vapors here

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    That sounds like a good way to blow yourself up. We are talking about flamable vapors here
    Well, at least we got the problem solve......next question and thread and God rest his RXT soul please I have no idea what everybody's smoking 2-night....but please don't hide it,... divide it.................just Kidding.

DO NOT use a vacume to syphon out gasoline. If you do you have a death wish.

+1
    Once I got down to the bottom of my tank,
    • I unhooked the high-pressure line to the fuel injector rail.
    • I put the line, inside a larger line, that ran down to a bucket.
    • I put the lanyard on, and let the fuel pump push the water/gas mix from the bottom of the tank, into the bucket.
    • I then poured in a half gallon of fuel, and did the lanyard trick a few more times.
    • I hooked up the high-pressure line, and cleaned up the area, including putting the old gas into a gas can and sealed up.
    • I filled up the tank, and cranked the ski.
    • I THEN took the spark plugs out, and cleaned and dried them.
    In YOUR case, you need to do this, and get to the water and ride it around a little while to clear out all the possible water deposits in the gas line and injectors.

NEVER: put water contaminated fuel into your car. The water settles on the bottom of the tank rather quickly, and the car will die shortly thereafter. You might get away with it in lawn equipment, that you can shake up, and keep agitated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information