Thread: Fried CDI

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1

Fried CDI

Turns out my 2000 GPR's bad dash wasn't a bad dash after all, but a bad CDI. I swapped out the dash, started her up, and got the same garbage display pattern and continuos wail of alarm sounding. I swapped out the stock CDI for the Advent I had sitting on the shelf, that I believe is suffering from overheating problems, and the dash (both dashes, actually) worked fine. So now I'm trying to figure out what could have caused the CDI to go bad. There was no evidence of water in the electric box, the connectors are good, and all the wiring checks out. Could water getting into the dash have caused a short and fried the CDI? Could a bad regulator cause this? I just don't want to replace the CDI without fixing a possible underlying problem. TIA for any insights!

+1
    I have seen the rectifiers cause multiple problems..especially with the 00's and 01's. They get extremely hot and will cause intermittent cdi problems. I would replace this next. You can get the manual and find out the +/- values and meter it out to see if it is within specs. Or even get a Yama tech to put a harness on it and find the gremilin.

+1
    I have a complete electrical box that is just missing the fuse cover that I would sell for $75.00 plus shipping. It has had the ground wire to the stator cut to run total loss (I think thats the wire that is cut )If you are interested send me a PM. I bought it from Insanediego Joe and have never used it.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    Thank Mark the rectifier is at the top of things to check next. BTW, as of today I have a second Jeep (2001 TJ) that I'm building up as a trail rig. How's the LJ?

Jeff, any idea what year the box is, and does it come with a rectifier? Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smackwave View Post
    Thank Mark the rectifier is at the top of things to check next. BTW, as of today I have a second Jeep (2001 TJ) that I'm building up as a trail rig. How's the LJ?

Jeff, any idea what year the box is, and does it come with a rectifier? Thanks!
    No, I dont remember what year the box is. I will look tonight and let you know. It is a complete box with the rectifier on it.

Thread Information