Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chevron Gas observation

I have been frequenting 2 different gas stations for that past several years. A few weeks ago, I was out of juice and in a rush so I pulled up to a Chevron pump and filled up with a sad $80 worth. I am accustomed to getting anywhere from 14.8 to 15.4 MPG in my truck and it is habit for me to reset my trip meter and check at each fill-up

Well, after filling with the Chevron and checking I got 16.6. I was shocked and filled up there again to check results and 16.5 the second time around. Has anyone else noticed such a difference between brands? I was using Racetrac and Murpys before as they are always about 5-7 cents cheaper per gallon and I drive past these stations almost daily. There are only a handful of oil companies out there so I didn't think there was a noticable difference between brands but am now thinking otherwise. Any comments or experiences ?

+1
    Did you use the same octane?

I remember back in the day that Chevron was the sh-t! maybe their techtron chemicals/additives are in their fuel possibly promoting better burn.
    the problem we have down here in NJ with no name brands is you never know wht your getting and at this day and age price dictates what you put in the tank, to an extent.
    I use Sunoco and wawa fuel alot and have no idea who supply`s wawa...
    and I often have my doubts with name brand stations bc I don`t see a brand name when the tankers are filling the stations...
    I always thought that if you were buying sunoco or Getty, you were buying just that ...PR...

not sure bout back east, but out here in ca and some of the other western states we have strict smog laws that call for all fuel to be mixed the same, which includes additives to cut down emissions and clean up the engine. From what I understand the fuel leaves the refinery and then goes to a companies holding tanks where their special additives are added, so it doesn't really matter where you buy the fuel out here, other than who is cheapest.

+1
    I have noticed the same issue with my cars too. I think, and some of the guys that work in the refineries can elaborate, but I think it is that these "discount" stations sell fuel with higher levels of methanol. The higher the methanol, the lower the fuel economy. I have also "heard" some in the know say, that higher methanol ratios in fuel also is harder on your engine. If this is the case in a 4 stroke motor, I would think that this would be dome for a 2 stroke motor because I would think that it could effect octane levels.

Maybe I am way off base, but just my 2 cents. Where's RX951 when you need him?

If I remember correctly all the fuel companies get their gas from similar refineries. When the fuel is pumped into the truck to go the station the fueler puts that gas companies brands of additives into the truck as he is filling it. So thats what makes each brand different as its being shipped to the station from the holding yards.

Caution raider fan in the area !!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    If I remember correctly all the fuel companies get their gas from similar refineries. When the fuel is pumped into the truck to go the station the fueler puts that gas companies brands of additives into the truck as he is filling it. So thats what makes each brand different as its being shipped to the station from the holding yards.
    I did some work at a Chevron plant and from what I remember it all came from a common pipeline but Chevron added their proprietary mix at the plant and then the trucks filled and left from there! Z

or your getting 120 ounce gallons from the discount station. I once put 21.5 gallons in my truck that has a 21 gallon tank, it was showing half way between empty and 1/8 tank (about 2 1/2 gallons) when I started.

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    or your getting 120 ounce gallons from the discount station. I once put 21.5 gallons in my truck that has a 21 gallon tank, it was showing half way between empty and 1/8 tank (about 2 1/2 gallons) when I started.

Good point, Down here in FL the pumps are physically checked by the state once per year to ensure accuracy. I always wondered if these modern day pumps can easily be tampered with to give you the 120 ounce gallons? On the other hand, I used to know a bar owner who watered down drinks, how tough would it be to do the same wih gas? Is it possible that some water run off from rain storms can drain into the holding tanks at the station?

As far as the 21.5 in the 21 gal tank, I believe most tanks do not include filler neck capacity. Many tanks are shaped like a "V" where the first half tank of gas lasts 250 miles and the second half only lasts 50 miles. My Z28 was a good example of this.

The post about the metanol is interesting. Does Anyone have any more info on this? I am willing to bet that "Murphy's" is one of the highest as I can smell something foul when I pull up to the pumps there. Definately not the raw fuel aroma that I have loved since childhood..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information