Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

How To: Installing Bow Spray Deflector

Having had a BSD break loose using the manufacturer's instructions, I went with another installation method:

Parts needed:

T-20 star socket
    3/16 drill bit
    Needle nose pliers
    Small flat head screw driver
    Aluminum snips (or any good snippers)
    Exacto knife
    Sharpie (color other than black)
    Double sided tape (or contact cement)
    rubber mallet (optional)
    (4) 1.5 inch 10/24 stainless steel machine screws
    (16) 1 inch 10/24 stainless steel machine screws
    20 10/24 lock nuts
    40 #10 washers

1. With a small flat head screwdriver, remove 4 screw covers from nose cone

2. Use T-20 socket to remove 4 screws from nose cone;

3. Remove green/yellow rub rail insert past 4 rivets on each side of nose cone

4. Using 3/16 drill bit, drill out the first 4 rivets on each side of hull past the nose cone (Tip: don't touch rivets because they are very hot after drilling). Peel back the rub rail past the 4th rivet hole.

5. Using aluminum snips (or similar snippers) trim bottom of nose cone to remove the under side that goes under the rub rail; (the nose cone has a hard plastic insert. I removed that totally. If you want to leave it, you will need some very good snippers to cut the hard plastic);

6. Using an exacto knife, remove under side of the side rub rails right at the bottom curve (You want it to fit flat against the BSD. Don't cut yourself);

7. Mark middle of the BSD by folding it in half and marking the fold point;

8. Line up BSD with center mark on BSD in the center of the ski.

9. Affix BSD to hull with double sided tape or contact cement (Tip: make sure the top of the BSD is at or very slightly above the hull so that the hole you will drill is not too close to the top of the BSD;

10. Line up nose cone with stock holes

11. Using 3/16 drill bit, drill out the 4 holes in nose cone, through the BSD and rub rail lip in hull (Be careful not to drill into hull. Also, watch the angle of drilling - you need to be able to get a washer and lock nut on the screw, but you don't want the hole to go through the bottom of the rub rail lip);

12. Insert (4) 1.5 inch SS machine screws in nose cone with washers on both sides of rub rail. Finger thread lock nuts onto screws on the hull side of rub rail. Once threaded, hold lock nut with needle nose pliers and thread the screw into lock nut (Tip: pre thread the lock nuts onto screws before screwing into the rub rail lip - this makes it easier and prevents stripping the screw head);

13. Using 3/16 drill bit, drill out the 4 holes on each side of hull (8 total). Again, be careful not to drill into hull. Also, watch the angle of drilling - you need to be able to get a washer and lock nut on the screw;

14. Insert (8 ) 1 inch SS machine screws in the 4 holes on each side of hull with washers on both sides of rub rail. Finger thread lock nuts onto screws on the hull side of rub rail. Once threaded, hold lock nut with needle nose pliers and screw into lock nut (Tip: pre thread the lock nuts onto screws before screwing into the rub rail lip - this makes it easier and prevents stripping the screw head);

15. After BSD is affixed to hull with the above referenced screws/lock nuts, replace rub rails (without insert) over the BSD. Using 3/16 drill bit, Make an additional hole at the tip of the BSD on each side and additional holes in between the screws already in place (4 additional holes on each side of hull)

16. Repeat step 14 with these additional holes.

17. Replace rub rail insert tapping it into place with rubber mallet. Tuck end of rub rail insert under end of nose cone.

18. Go ride drier than ever.

FRANKO where were you when i installed this
    great info
    thats the kind of step by step we need to installing stuff the right way

nice work Franko, very easy directions to follow and explained very well. i will def be using this when i install mine pretty soon. thanks!

+1
    Thanks. Hope it helps.

14. Insert (8 ) 1 inch SS machine screws in the 4 holes on each side of hull with washers on both sides of rub rail

washers on both sides of rub rail wont it make the rub rail stick out too much from the fiberglass when installing the additional 4 sets?

+1
    No. The washers are small. The washer on the hull side doesn't affect the rub rail at all. The washer on the rub rail side fits inside the rub rail insert, so it won't cause any protrusion. The one problem you might have is threading the lock nut on the first screw on each side. If so, I would eliminate the hull side washer. You want to use the rub rail side washer on all holes to prevent the screw head from breaking through the rub rail.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    glad this was here. mine didn't come with instructions....wouldn't have thought to do some of the steps without these instructions.

Thanks franko

+1
    Thanks. I had forgotten I posted this. I was much smarter back then.

I just wanted to bring back this thread. I used a lot of the info here when installing the splash guard on my old Kawi 750SS. One thing I wanted to mention, if you have a Dremel with a cut off wheel it makes it much easier to cut the nose cone. Thanks for the great write up Franko!

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information