For winter protction, what about an electric heater in bilge?

Hello everyone. My 2007 RXP is winterized and in my garage. I am recovered from stripping my fuel rail bolts (more or less).

In any case, has anyone thought or actually tried to put one of these in their RXP front compartment, mostly closed the hood, and left the seat in place but maybe 1 inch open? See pics below. I bought this to keep in the cabin of my 1989 four winns bowrider that's parked for the winter on my front lawn. It puts out a very gentle heat which is very low, really just a bit of warmth, which i think in the seadoo would keep the interior compartment from freezing no matter the temp in my garage. Any thoughts on that? Can i hurt anything by keeping it in there? The bowrider is worth maybe $4.5k and the seadoo is worth probably double that. So maybe it's best used in the seadoo?

A built-in fan circulates dry, warm air within your boat to prevent mold and mildew

Designed for safe, continuous dockside operation, the spark-free Turbo Dryer draws less current than a 100W light bulb so it’s inexpensive to operate all year ‘round. Housing is anodized aluminum for corrosion resistance.
    • 10"dia. x 4 1/2"H
    • 110V AC
    • Two-year warranty

if their winterized properly you shouldn't need anything but the bad thing about electric bilge heaters are usually the power fails during freezing storms so you loose all protection ! i'd be nervous to leave my boat unprotected outside it's a tough call
    EDIT it looks like that might not be rated for bilges? might not want it near any kind of vapors?
    Last edited by ZMANN; 12-02-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    if their winterized properly you shouldn't need anything but the bad thing about electric bilge heaters are usually the power fails during freezing storms so you loose all protection ! i'd be nervous to leave my boat unprotected outside it's a tough call
    EDIT it looks like that might not be rated for bilges? might not want it near any kind of vapors?
    +1

what is +1? is that a bump on the post?

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyshore View Post
    what is +1? is that a bump on the post?

the +1 = he is saying that he agrees with the quoted post, as do I. I would not want a heat source in the bilge of any boat unless I was running it. What happens if something shorts out. Then add fuel vapors on top of that. Dosen't sound like a good combo.

+1
    if you winterized it and it will be ina garage, it will be fine. if it would be outside, or not winterized, then the heater would be a good emergency technique, if you couldnt winterize.
    like if your engine was apart, unusual cold snap etc.
    if it is cold enough where you live to winterize than i woud not rely on a heater all winter.
    plus winterizing cuts down on corrosion in the exhaust system, and rust in the cylinders, fuel gumming, etc.

Thread Information